VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just met with my rep and paid for the 'WHITE LOVE WAGON II" and during conversation he mentioned that the 2003 passat had 600 changes and none of which you could see........let's hope 4 of them were decent coil packs!
my car will be on the love road on tuesday jan 28, 2003......
THE LOVE WAGON RIDES AGAIN!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (mauslick)

quote:[HR][/HR]t the 2003 passat had 600 changes and none of which you could see
[HR][/HR]​
They had to change all the stampings to say "2003" instead of "2002". There must be at least 600 parts that have a year stamped on it, no?

-Craig

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (outrun)

Since we have an 02 and 03 (see signature), here are a few things that I've noticed in the past month of 03 ownership:
(1) The large manual seat adjuster knobs have a soft-touch rubber like finish on the perimeter portion that you grip when turning them.
(2) The turn-signal indicator sound is a lot quieter on the 03.
(3) The fuel gage has a gas pump icon where the 02 gas gage says "Unleaded Fuel Only". The 03 doesn't say "Unleaded Fuel Only".
(4) [Not sure of this one.] I believe the specs on our 02 1.8T motor said it had 9.5 compression and the 03 says 9.3.
(5) I have noticed some small differences on the new 03 1.8T motor (haven't looked too close yet because of the cold weather). The 03 has some different 'plumbing' in the the area between the back of the engine and firewall.
(6) The 03 oil filler cap has an orange oiler icon (and maybe lettering too) on it like the dipstick color. The 02 has white.
(7) Almost forgot the big one---the 03 has J coil packs, the 02 has three H's & one J

[Modified by E36BMW, 7:08 AM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (E36BMW)

Having just taken delivery llast week of my 03 Variant GLX 5-speed curtesy of VW Guild - I can see a number of small changes - mostly cosmetic in nature but I would not that the car seems a bit tighter than the 01.5 I used as a measure but it is so cold out here in Detroit that lingering outside is not fun - I do look forward to a careful look once the temps get above the current 0 to +15 degrees f that we have had for the last two to three weeks. Heck it is so cold, that I havn't even set the radio pre-sets
David

·
Registered
128 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (FC63F)

I feel for you guys back east in the cold. Here in Arizona, believe it or not, the highs are in the mid 70's (75) yesterday and the lows are only down to the 50's. It is crazy how drastically different the weather could be from one side of the country to the other. I haven't heard of many coilpack failures here, and I would guess that it is because of our mild weather. It seems that everyone is having coilpack failures right now, when it is very, very cold.
It should be interesting to see what VW figures out. I don't even own a VW anymore (loving my '03 Accord), but I am a big VW fan and really am interested in how they solve this.
Bryan

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (bacevedo)

Yep, here in MA we're in a deep freeze. This has been the coldest stretch for us since the 1880's.
This morning, it was 1 degree at 6:30am where I work (Billerica, MA). I think the high today is going to be 15 degrees.
It's going to warm up over the weekend (might hit 30 on Sunday!).
-Craig

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (bacevedo)

quote:[HR][/HR]I feel for you guys back east in the cold. Here in Arizona, believe it or not, the highs are in the mid 70's (75) yesterday and the lows are only down to the 50's. It is crazy how drastically different the weather could be from one side of the country to the other.[HR][/HR]​
Yep, the U.S.A. is one big country
It's hard to beat California in terms of weather. The sun is shining outside right now. But that's why you have to pay mucho $$$ to live here. Nothing comes for free.
PS: obviously, the above goes on for the continental U.S. Hawaii, for example, is in a different league

[Modified by av_audi, 2:32 PM 1-23-2003]

·
Registered
91 Posts

Mauslick, I've got you beat by 3 days. I'm arriving at the dealership on Saturday in an 1986 Corolla SR-5 rustbucket and leaving in a Fresco Green 2003 Passat Variant (The Steitwagen). I'm counting on noticing some of those 600 changes from the 2002 model and the 2300+ changes from the 2000 model as the last Passat I've driven was a 2000 Variant almost a year ago. I've yet to drive the 170hp version of the 1.8T. Needless to say, it should be a pretty exciting Saturday http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (DieselDawg)

congrats! that fresco green is a nice color ( what color isn't on the passat) and your going to love the car......my g/f has 2001 glx sedan and her doorlocks are really loud compared to what my 02 was........ the body seemed tight to me all in all one great wagon....( is their any other choice beside the S4?) post some pics and let us know how delivery goes.............miles on the odo etc. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
188 Posts

Fresco green! I tried my hardest to get that but would have to wait 3 months, so I got the Mojave beige, also classy. You will be VERY happy with the Variant - it's so solid, every mile is smoother than the last. I would love to cruise Maui in the Variant - the road to Hana or up to Haleakala would be a dream, even the short run up to the Iao Needle...all I have here in Florida is flat roads!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (VW Jetta GLS)

quote:[HR][/HR]What do you want to say with "Steitwagen"?[HR][/HR]​
Just a nickname for the new car. It means "chariot" in Deutsche but I doubt I'll actually call the car Steitwagen. Most likely just refer to it as the "sled" as in "Honey, I gonna hit the drive-thru at the Horny Tim's (Tim Horton's), can I take your sled?" Its a Canuck thing.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]...600 changes and none of which you could see........[HR][/HR]​
I don't doubt it one bit, with all of the slight changes every week in production, those midyear things... and then a new model year!!! I am sure many other companys have slight changes... Just like things are recalled on one year and not the next... A hose, who can see that, etc...

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (JCUTHBE2)

quote:[HR][/HR]My favorite new '03 feature is the latch in the trunk to let yourself out if you ever get locked in....
[HR][/HR]​
Not just that...... it glows in the dark!!!!

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (B12Teuton)

well i am looking forward to being back in a passat wagon after suffering rental trans ams and aleros for three months. .......that is aside from coil pack failure, over fills, eletrical problems, etc.!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (DieselDawg)

quote:[HR][/HR] What do you want to say with "Steitwagen"? [HR][/HR]​
I stand corrected, its Streitwagen not Steitwagen and it does mean chariot. Must be too excited about tomorrow.
Thanks ronsig!!
Gotta go home and measure the garage to see if the Variant will fit, I have way too much junk in there. Also I scammed the digital camera from work, I'll try to get some good pics when I pick it up. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Re: 600 changes in the 2003 passat (av_audi)

Yeah and in California it's mandatory to enjoy the weather--when you're stuck in traffic all day!!!

I read that Highway 17 had 7 accidents on Tuesday, the one day of rain in a while...people just don't know how to handle it!
quote:[HR][/HR]I feel for you guys back east in the cold. Here in Arizona, believe it or not, the highs are in the mid 70's (75) yesterday and the lows are only down to the 50's. It is crazy how drastically different the weather could be from one side of the country to the other.
Yep, the U.S.A. is one big country
It's hard to beat California in terms of weather. The sun is shining outside right now. But that's why you have to pay mucho $$$ to live here. Nothing comes for free.
PS: obviously, the above goes on for the continental U.S. Hawaii, for example, is in a different league

[Modified by av_audi, 2:32 PM 1-23-2003][HR][/HR]​

1 - 19 of 19 Posts