VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the situation, Im having my g60 swapped into my A1, Ps and AC removed, stg 3 kit, unorthodox crank pulley, 260 cam and adj cam gear etc. The car is not a daily driver and the charger has recently been rebuilt. The engine has 226,xxxkm's on it , anyone have any advice on which pulley to use 68 or 65mm or other?

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: 68 or 65mm pulley? (Reaper)

68mm pulley on the charger, in theory, will last longer, but if you want the power, and can afford a rebuild every 50k miles, go with the 65. MORE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,759 Posts

that unorthodox crank pulley is probaly an under drive pulley and will spin the supercharger and alternater slower, less boost and less voltage.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (deth_core)

No, Im just going for a mild stage 3 and cam. Cant afford the head work right now.

Crank pulley(so I was told) I bought off someone selling on here, said it was same size but lighter. Wouldnt that make it spin faster not slower?

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Re: (LagunaSecaBlueMK3)

Quote, originally posted by LagunaSecaBlueMK3 »
get as much power as you can, i say 65mm, maybe 62 if you dont mind the added cost of a once over every several months

if he wants more power, then he'd go stage 4... don't you think? i recommend porting before you throw a tiny ass pulley on the charger.
...my 2 cents anyway...

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: (deth_core)

now now tiny ass pulleys are fun too

once you go 62 you'll never go back, unless someone borrows your car and puts a 68 back on it lol..

·
17,317 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Reaper »
anyone have any advice on which pulley to use 68 or 65mm or other?

65. Just do it. You know you want to.

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: 68 or 65mm pulley? (robbyb413)

Okay I guess I'll go with the 65 if you really want me too

deth_core you really had me going for the 68 but popular opinion has made my decision. You can be the 1st one to say I told you so when Im pissed about the engine needing a rebuild shortly

Modified by Reaper at 10:27 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

One more question, does the 65mm take the same belt as the 68mm with A/C delete? thanks

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

yeah i dont think you can get a smaller belt in that increment. Iirc i was running the 62mm with the 68 belt without problems.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Reaper »
deth_core you really had me going for the 68 but popular opinion has made my decision. You can be the 1st one to say I told you so when Im pissed about the engine needing a rebuild shortly

go for it dude....
they're right, you'll probably end up putting on 65 eventually anyway.
my g-lader is in pieces, i blame tiny ass pulleys.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
Re: 68 or 65mm pulley? (88mk2g60)

I have a 65mm and I don't go past 6000 rpms and going that high only happens every so often. I believe you're safe up to 6200 rpms w/ a 65mm.
Brian

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Re: 68 or 65mm pulley? (ButchHusky)

Quote, originally posted by ButchHusky »
I have a 65mm and I don't go past 6000 rpms and going that high only happens every so often. I believe you're safe up to 6200 rpms w/ a 65mm.
Brian

Any input on this oliver?sam?dave?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts