VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does it compare to a 8-8.5lb wheel. I don't think it would be too much different.
Would it still idle under 900rpms?

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Re: 6lb flywheel still drivable? (dohc)

it wont change the idle. going that light in my oppinion is rediculously stupid. I think that 8lbs is a little too light. By the time you're done shifting and let out the clutch your rpms are gone. and heel toe will be a beehotch because the revs wont hang up long enough to get into gear.
have you driven an 8lb flywheel? Try that first, if you dont like it go lighter then... but dont jump from 11lbs to 6.... you're asking for a pita.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts

mine weighs 7.4 lbs......no big deal to drive her, just takes a couple of releases to get used to her

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 6lb flywheel still drivable? (Mbiggy)

Well got her down to 6lb, and installed a tranny with a higher first gear, I barely noticed any drivability probs. It drives almost like stock. The hardest part to get used to is how fast the engine now revs.
Only thing I'm worried about is its life expentency. It is a stock shaved flywheel (actually 6.4lbs). I've added some heat emissive coating to the outside of the wheel to help heat dissapation, hope it lasts.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts

I would punch a fat biker in the head for a 6lb flywheel. I have a chunk of aluminum in my shed waiting to be turned into a 4lb flywheel and a 2 lb. pressure plate as soon as my lathe is all set-up (probably in September). I think the factory parts weigh about 18 lbs for both. I can't wait.
The answer to your question depends on what kind of engine, what car, what clutch disk and what transmission you're using. A 6 lb clutch with a done 16v and a 4K in a Mk1 react far differently from a 2L in a Mk 3 Jetta with a CHE.
D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts