VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unlike the usual crappy reverse, this one only happens on inclines, forward-facing inclines at that. All other gears work fine and reverse works fine too unless I'm nose down (or sometimes steep sideways). It's trying to go into gear: you can hear it try 3 times and then go into limp mode. If I am quick enough I can put it in drive, move forward an inch, try again and it works. Like I have to line up the gears first before it will engage. But only on a hill.

Everything online says if you have problems replace mechatronic unit or clutch pack, both of which are big bucks and I"m not fond of spending huge sums to see what works.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts
What car is this on? Have you scanned for codes?

·
Registered
10,126 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure, I've been to the Ross tech and yet it's not much help. It could be clutch, gears or mechtronics, in other words, there's something wrong with the transmission. ;) The problem is, the mechtronic is well over a grand, the clutch is close to that, and who wants to spend that money, pull the tranny, drop it in, whoops, wrong call, pull it again, drop another grand and hope that's it. Also replace the DM flywheel while in there, and it's more than the car is worth in parts alone. I was hoping someone would have some knowledge of these trannies that might help me troubleshoot, so at least I replace the part that's faulty.

These seem to be mystery machines compared to other makes. Ive repaired a mini CVT transmission, an exterra auto transmission, a delica auto transmission and a land rover transmission based on info Ive found online that steered me to the fault. But not with this thing. Yet Ive read tons of threads where people have problems backing up on hills, with no solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts