VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Posted in the manual forum and searched, curious if anyone else has had this problem or could offer a solution,
Mk4 Gti Vr6 and lately I've been having problems shifting into 6th. When it refuses to enter, if I put it back in fourth then enter six it works. Any ideas? Would be much appreciated.
Cheers,

·
Registered
849 Posts
Re: 6th Gear problem (DjDouglasK)

I haven't had this problem at all. Just think 6th gear is more of a highway gear anyway, so just stick to back roads and you have nothing to worry about.
Bump for a solution

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: 6th Gear problem (Midnight 1 8T)

Work has me doing crazy highway driving, I gotta get it fixed, driving me crazy. Nobody has had this problem?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Re: 6th Gear problem (Eurofighter)

Quote, originally posted by Eurofighter »
I haven't had this problem at all. Just think 6th gear is more of a highway gear anyway, so just stick to back roads and you have nothing to worry about.
Bump for a solution

gotta love the help you get around here

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Re: 6th Gear problem (Midnight 1 8T)

^^ those are terrible answers to his problem
i dont know all that much but it could be the stops that place it in the particular gear in the tranny might be gone and are making the synchro-sleeve go past it and maybe not making it go into gear. does it sometimes go into 6th on your second try mostly? also does it take more force than the other gears to get it engaged?
ps im not the best person to help you but atleast its a bump

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: 6th Gear problem (audi666)

Thanks for the reply, On the second try, same force as the others, which normally isnt very much. Was getting ready to change the tranny oil this weekend, now I'm afraid of what i'm going to find.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
get a wife/friend/pulley system to move the linkages around the problematic areas while you watch from the engine bay (car turned off)
sometimes a bolt can come loose or a bump can move things near the linlages into the line of fire.
At work we had an RSX come in almost written off, and after we got it back together it had a really rough time getting from reverse to 3rd or 5th, turned out that the collision had turned the intake tube just MILIMETERES inward and the C-clamp on it was then rubbing on the linkages.
look around in there, you might find your problem!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts