VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Whenever I turn right(even slightly) the front sounds exactly like an airplane coming in for a landing. I am running snow tires, and i thought maybe it could be this. What does a wheel bearing sound like when it's shot? Also, theres been alot of talk about timing chains lately. Do them when they need it or manufacturer recommended times. thanks! -jay

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: 747 (graftman)

I just had my right wheel bearing changed. It does sound very loud especially when making turns. My passenger side wheel bearing was very loud when making left turns. It kind of sounds like a loud, low muffler.
Hope that helps.
-Pete

·
Registered
955 Posts
Re: 747 (Sculls84)

I think a wheelbearing sounds a little bit more like a 767 with the CF-6 engine that's a few quarts low on oil. The 747 has too much exhaust roar and the wheel bearing sounds more like compressor buffeting.
Yes, I say the sound is more like a big fat fan grasping for air. Now my old Rabbit sounded like a RB-211. You know how those things would spin backwards in the most awkward way. Only the British would design a jet engine to spin the wrong way. Although I bet they drive on the wrong side of the road and their escalators are backward too. I wonder if the Volkswagen's sold in England had their right/left bearings installed incorrectly? I bet they did.. and that's the reason that they sound like jet engines instead of diesel locomotives.
I thought about riding the train from England over to France through the channel tunnel (chunnel) but I didn't know whether I would be coming or going so I didn't know which ticket to buy.

oh well,,, if the waitress will come by i'm going to order another beer to go with my bangers and mash.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Re: 747 (FowVay)

Quote, originally posted by FowVay »
oh well,,, if the waitress will come by i'm going to order another beer to go with my bangers and mash.

i guess so lol

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Re: 747 (83Jetta2l)

th eonly good news is that you can drive a very long time with ir growling before it locks. There are actually two bearings side-by-side in the front.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts