VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a 75 rabbit today and it has no brakes....the guy selling it says the MC is bad...can I use the MC from my 84 GTI or will it not work>>> I am making a trip to the junkysrd today so if anyone knows what car I need a master cylinder out of to get this thing workin i would appreciate the advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Re: (patatron)

Quote, originally posted by patatron »
Do NOT put in a used master cylinder!

I agree strongly with Pat, especially one out of a junkyard car. You have no idea how old it is and cahnces are it is probably shot too. And even if it seems like it might work pumping the brakes at a stand still, you don't wanna find out it was no good when your goin 70 mile an hour back home.
-matt

·
Registered
14,303 Posts
Re: 75 Rabbit needs help.... (dboi510)

Quote, originally posted by dboi510 »
I am picking up a 75 rabbit today and it has no brakes....

I believe the '75 Rabbit had drum brakes in the front, and a GTI master cylinder would be wrong in terms of capacity versus the size of the wheel cylinders.
Your best option is to convert the front drum brakes to 9.4 inch vented rotors, and then use a GTI master cylinder.
I have not played with a '75 Rabbit, so I may be wrong. You may have to change the hub carriers so the later Kelsey-Hays calipers/mounting brackets will work.
The rear drum brakes also probably need to be rebuilt with new wheel cylinders, shoes, and springs. Good luck, WWR.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Re: 75 Rabbit needs help.... (WackyWabbitRacer)

Quote, originally posted by WackyWabbitRacer »

I believe the '75 Rabbit had drum brakes in the front, and a GTI master cylinder would be wrong in terms of capacity versus the size of the wheel cylinders.
Your best option is to convert the front drum brakes to 9.4 inch vented rotors, and then use a GTI master cylinder.
I have not played with a '75 Rabbit, so I may be wrong. You may have to change the hub carriers so the later Kelsey-Hays calipers/mounting brackets will work.
The rear drum brakes also probably need to be rebuilt with new wheel cylinders, shoes, and springs. Good luck, WWR.

Some of the 75's did have drum fronts, but in the US, those were very few, and very far between. Odds are good you have the early style calipers (unless they have been converted) and many of the early cars (75/6) didn't have boosters. Make sure you replace the part with the proper part. 75's can be tricky, as they used a lot of "transition" parts.
-Dan

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Re: 75 Rabbit needs help.... (dbreid)

Quote, originally posted by dbreid »

Some of the 75's did have drum fronts, but in the US, those were very few, and very far between. Odds are good you have the early style calipers (unless they have been converted) and many of the early cars (75/6) didn't have boosters. Make sure you replace the part with the proper part. 75's can be tricky, as they used a lot of "transition" parts.
-Dan

Exactly. At the very least, I Wouldn't doubt the connections are in slightly different locations.
Make sure it isn't a brake fluid leak. The early cars ran the brake lines INSIDE the car under the carpet and are very susceptible to rust-through. My 76 had few miles, and was stored inside for 20 years, and the brake lines were sketchy.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Re: 75 Rabbit needs help.... (greggearhead)

Both of my 75's were the Oct 74 production models and had the solid 9" rotors. I did a conversion to 16v 'rocco brake systems on both of them to get away from the early "genuine" VAG (deathtrap) system.
I bought used at a junkyard and then sent everything (MC, calipers) to get rebuilt. They powdercoated them along the way and I ended up with a real nice setup...
Good luck. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A rear disc upgrade is definitely on the top of my agenda...I have a question....is my bentley for 81-84 rabbit accurate for the most part to the 75 chassis? I understand that there is no bentley available for this year Rabbit...thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,287 Posts
Re: (dboi510)

All of my Bentley manuals are packed up, but I think that they used to print one for it. You could try the Microfiche manual...
I have the factory repair manual as well. Found it on eBay. I think this is it. Look for the "75-78 Rabbit & Scirocco VW factory original service manual for type 17 (Rabbit) & type 53 (Scirocco) published by VW (765_17_53)" listing, 5th one down...
Good luck!

·
Registered
22,864 Posts
Re: (gezuvor)

Just remember that a first year, 1975 Rabbit is going to be light years away from the Westmoreland Rabbits you're used to seeing...just remember to be gentle with parts you're taking off, as the more restoration minded amongst the community may want these hard to find, one year only parts... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will most definitely post up any parts i decide to sell off this thing....my suspension appears to be in good shape but i may end up replacing a few things....first to go will be the motor.....anyone interested???? the car has a 4k tranny so i will keep that...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.