VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 01 MKIV Golf with 2.0 AEG engine that i use for leisure trips to spectate automotive events. The stock pump failed back in Feb 2010, so i ordered a GRAF pump with metal impeller from ECS Tuning. http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/06A121011L/ES766/ Purchase was made on 1/27/10, parts got here on 2/03/10, and I installed pump late Feb 2010. Mileage was 127,257 when pump, timing belt, tensioner were done. In the middle of 2010, a loud grinding started at the front passenger side of the engine. I parked the car for a while and drove my truck because the racing season is slow in the winter. Ive had some time to fix things, so i took everything apart and found the water pump with bearing grease or some waxy chunky crap all over the outside of it and on the inside of the timing belt cover like it splattered, and the pump leaking from the shaft. Car now has 135,362 miles on it, so thats complete pump failure within 8,069 miles. I contacted ECS on Feb 2011 to see about replacing it given the circumstances, and their reply was that the warranty was a few days expired, so they wont be offering a replacement. Well anyway, check out these pics. Ive included a video of bearing noise for your entertainment.

Maybe ECS will see this and extend their services. :)

Waxy gunk all over water pump, coolant leaking and lots of rusty parts from heat and steam.

More waxy crap, and leak from shaft.

Pump on my table, closer view of damage.

More of that waxy crap that splattered all over the place. Definitely came from inside the pump housing.

Nasty waxy chunky stuff i scraped off the outside of pump.

Current mileage.

Miles when timing belt, pump, and tensioner were replaced.

Annnnnd, a video!

·
Registered
21,252 Posts
What does ECS have to do with the part manufacturers warranty? Nothing. So why would you expect ECS to do anything for you? You bought a part from them, the part comes with a warranty, which, you state, expired....and now you want to go after ECS to extend some sort of 'above and beyond' service to you? And in the meantime, you post a passive-aggressive thread about how "their" part failed within 9000miles expecting them to see it and come to your rescue? :confused:

You bought a no-name pump...the cheapest one they sell, at that...instead of the OEM replacement. You need to chalk this up as a learning experience and deal with buying a newer, higher quality pump. You should spend less time on here trying to lambaste the part supplier, and more time on the phone with the part manufacturer's customer service dept pleading your case. I hope you speak Italian though, because the parent company is based in Italy.

You probably won't like my response, but that's the reality of it. Out of curiosity, what kind of coolant did you use, and what was the mix ratio? I've never seen a 50/50 mix of G12 corrode like that.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
ECS isn't in the wrong here I would contact the maker of the pump.

I'm willing to wager you installed it incorrectly, it's very easy to put it on and not have it sit flush in its place, if theres any debris rust or you didn't all the sides evenly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ECS isn't in the wrong here I would contact the maker of the pump.

I'm willing to wager you installed it incorrectly, it's very easy to put it on and not have it sit flush in its place, if theres any debris rust or you didn't all the sides evenly.
I never said anything negative about ECS, and I never install anything incorrectly. You wanna tell me how incorrect installation has anything to do with the pump bearing failing? Do you see leaking around the mating surface of the block and pump? No you dont.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I'm not calling you out, no need to get angry :)

If the pump is not leaking that doesn't mean it was 100% flush, that just means it was sealed.

The way your bearing would wear out is if it was put in crooked (or tightened too much on one side, leaving it slightly cocked) and the bearing did not receive even pressure as the belt itself would be applying excessive force to one area.

It's the only way i've seen a metal water pump fail in my real life experiences. There is more than a good chance you got a bad manufactured pump, glad you found it was bad before it seized. :beer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"That stuff"...you mean G12? WHat was the mix ratio you used?
That doesnt matter dude. The pump isnt corroded. The inside of the motor and the pump impeller are spotless. What matters is that the bearing took a dump well before it should have. The intention of this thread was to give people a heads up on that particular pump.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
not the first time i've seen this, and not the last.

fyi, all failures I HAVE SEEN have been with g12. we did one in an emergency on a 2.0, and had to use green coolant (10pm at night). 90k later, same timing belt, same green coolant. i do believe that car has something like 165k on the belt.

in any case, call ecs (who can get you in touch with graf). don't be a dick, it's not their fault the pump failed. ecs usually goes over and beyond what they should (for the most part).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ecs usually goes over and beyond what they should (for the most part).
Not this time. They say "I would like to help you but the warranty period is in place and we have to stick by it.", and "as I said there was an entire summer that this could have been dealt with.".

So i guess he told me. Yeah i could have dealt with it when it started to go bad, but i chose to wait until i had time to work on it so i could confirm it was a bad part. But as he said, there was an entire summer that this could have been dealt with. How childish of me, huh?

Sounds like the way my friggin dad used to talk to me, not the way customer service should be speaking to their customers. Im sure the ECS fanboys will object, just wait and see.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not this time. They say "I would like to help you but the warranty period is in place and we have to stick by it.", and "as I said there was an entire summer that this could have been dealt with.".

So i guess he told me. Yeah i could have dealt with it when it started to go bad, but i chose to wait until i had time to work on it so i could confirm it was a bad part. But as he said, there was an entire summer that this could have been dealt with. How childish of me, huh?

Sounds like the way my friggin dad used to talk to me, not the way customer service should be speaking to their customers. Im sure the ECS fanboys will object, just wait and see.

well, considering it takes 20 minutes to get those covers off (and no, the mount doesn't have to come off for just the pump), i guess they were right, but yeah, i'd be pissed if they talked to me that way.

i guess your next option is to just order a new pump, and do the job again. part failures happen, sometimes out of warranty, it's part of owning a car.

order the pump from germanautoparts.com next time, their customer service is MUCH better, and i don't have part failures from them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I ended up picking up a used 2.0 for $100, and bought a water pump from autozone to make my car run until i replace everything in the used motor. Got lots of parts on order now, but nothing from ECS ever again. Sorry dudes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a friend who bought a water pump and timing belt from Autozone.50,000mls still running.
Awesome. I hope this last for a while so i can spend money on my trucks and my TT 300zx ive been trying to put together for 5 years, hahaha.

Ive gotta admit, after doing the entire front end and parts of the motor in this car, ive become a pro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.