VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to run chump car with a 85 gti. What can be done to make it run well. Some one mentioned getting rid of the cis e and going with cis. Also it has camber plates where should we set the suspension for the best handling / tirebwear

·
Registered
930 Posts
Buy my book for 80 pages of go faster stuff. :)
Chupmcarincluded. The CIS works fine if it is healthy. If not, I have gone to Rochester 2G carbs.
The littl e Weber wont pass enough air(250CFM), the big Weber cost too much, the Holley 350, wont turn both ways very well.
The 2 G is still kinda cheap and has a nice tall float chamber that should keep the jets covered. The CFM ranges from 330 to about 500. testing now.
Look at the Mk 2 suspension thread. The fastest settings are seldom the best for the tires.
MM

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
hold on their buddy... too much unless info for a chump car... specially finding carb manifolds on the cheap...

if the cis-e is working great, leave it alone... if not i'm sure there is someone near you who'd be willing to help you sort it... as its just as easy to sort as it is to swap to cis and get it running right on your car. Side note... clean filters go a long way!

I'd start with a higher flow down pipe and exhaust and a bigger cam. Advance the timing a few degrees shy of pinging and call it good.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
930 Posts
The e book has plenty of tips, Chumper included.
Also. Street timing is usually too much for long full pulls. 31* at 4k for 1.8, and about 29 for 2.0 and 16V, will stay together. I remove the vac to the knock box to steady the advance. Keep it rich on fuel/.
The book has a money back speed increase. The setup guide for the Mk 2 will improve your tire life along with turn in. Maybe 1 sec on a 1:30 lap.
The "crapcan" section will pick you up at least two spots.
MM

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chumps

The cise is running great for now. It also ran fine on our 4 k q for a bit as well. It would run awesome for 6 hours or so and then go to crap. I am thinking the knock spacer is going to be a good buy from tt. Also going to bump the timing up a bit. I need to find someone with a 5 gas analyzer in cleveland so I can tune in the cis e box. I may end up getting your book just to help us on suspension set up. I am also on the hunt for a used adjustable cam gear. As far as the carbs go I think that would ruin the spirit of chump car. Just like some guy running a 944. It already has a tt cat back.

Any other info would be awesome. Ohhh I was looking at the poly bushings for the a arms. Can those be pressed out and in? Or burnt out and pressed in?

·
Registered
930 Posts
The knock box will pick up a loud lifter. Just space it out and torque it correct or eliminate the advance box entirely. You can wire around the box and computer. You may want to go to the vac advance dist then, with out the vac plugged in. Do a search here for the wiring diagram
(1988 Quantem), it is not to far back. Keep the filters clean, balance the injectors, etc
Our Chumper came with a carb, so we left the fuel system low pressure. also we had good luck, until the last race, with the Weber carb. If it had a good CIS , I would have left it.

Got my Rochester carbs today. Look nice and big, simple . I tapped the bowl for the Holley jets, . The Marine carb came with a base that fits on the Holley 350 bolt holes.

Use the R 32 bushings. You dont want to get any laps for no gain in performance. IMHO. MM

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Rochester base plate can be slotted to fit on the Weber 32/36 pattern. It is about 1mm off. You still need to remove the intake and port match to the carb. Look as tho it wil work pretty well. Ihope to have some runs on it by next weekend.
FWIW come out tothe Vette club event @ hernando Airport. Always a real high speed event. We set up our Chumpcar there

http://www.floridacorvetteracing.com/
You have to register early to get in, like today or tonight.

·
Registered
930 Posts
The Rochester carb works sweet. The only problem, is that the one on the car now has small holes in the throttle plates and the idle speed is too high. I tapped the jet holes to use my Holley jets, plugged off the enrichment circuit, and removed the choke. The car now has power way up until 7500 or so. May need a chip . Every once in a while the drivers get a little excited and foreget to shift.
Ready for Roebling Road, june. Seat for rent for experienced drivers.
MM

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Buy my book for 80 pages of go faster stuff. :)
Chupmcarincluded. The CIS works fine if it is healthy. If not, I have gone to Rochester 2G carbs.
The littl e Weber wont pass enough air(250CFM), the big Weber cost too much, the Holley 350, wont turn both ways very well.
The 2 G is still kinda cheap and has a nice tall float chamber that should keep the jets covered. The CFM ranges from 330 to about 500. testing now.
Look at the Mk 2 suspension thread. The fastest settings are seldom the best for the tires.
MM
just sent the paypal for the racing guide;hope it helps the rocco:thumbup::beer:

·
Registered
1 Posts
thx for post.this forum has always come very interesting discussions ... I hope this will continue

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
The wiring diagram for eliminating the knock box is also in the A2 Bentley. 85 and 86 had CIS-E cars that ran vacuum advance. Just duplicate that. You will need to retard the distributor a lot, because the knock box always retards the signal from the hall trigger. Set timing at idle and never see it walk again. The cars start, idle and move around the paddock just fine at +32deg.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I have had motors that like 29, and seen some that want 35.

You definitely need to use the right fuel to run 32 and above w/o a knock box IMO.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts