VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did it. I traded my black GTI for a 1980 Caddy.
The Good:

The Bad:

The Fugly:

The bed seems to be in good shape w/no rust holes.
The 1.6 is shot.
More pics of the caddy.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (vwrabbit)

Is that daylight I see under the homebuilt strut brace near the charcoal canister return hose?
Looks like the prior owner was somewhat of a mother of invention...
Nice to see another truck project starting- what are your longterm plans?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

Where could I get my hands on a truck like that?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (BFDeihl)

Yep, a nice big patch of daylight. Dontcha just love that strut brace?

Longterm plans? Well, I plan on stripping it down to nothing, cutting out all the cancerous areas, replace with pieces from various parts cars I have laying around...
For the engine, I'd like to do an ABA w/Eurospec head, knock sensor/Motronic ignition.
Suspension: coilovers to drop it about 2"-2.25" up front, some creative thinking out back to get the ass-end down 2".
Interior: I'd hate to get rid of that lovely baby blue, but the dash is so cracked on the passenger side, I'm gonna probably find a Cabby/Rocco dash as a replacement.
I'm debating whether to totally chop the strut towers out and replace them with a nice tube frame. I have access to some really nice Mechanical Engineering software to measure angles/stresses/etc. Just would need to find someone to fab it for me. If I don't go the tube frame route, I'm just gonna cut up some more pieces from my parts cars.
The biggest thing that sold me on this is the grille. I absolutely love the square headlights from 1980!

quote:[HR][/HR]
Is that daylight I see under the homebuilt strut brace near the charcoal canister return hose?
Looks like the prior owner was somewhat of a mother of invention...
Nice to see another truck project starting- what are your longterm plans?[HR][/HR]​

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (85gti1)

Phil,
Thanks for towing this bad boy back for me. Enjoy the GTI. You definately got a deal!

I can't wait to start tearing into this caddy. I'm just glad the strut towers are the only major rust spots so far. Hopefully the floors aren't too bad.
Laters,
Tim

·
Registered
1,946 Posts

Sweet find. I want an '80 Caddy just to have the front end match the one on my Rabbit. There sure seems to be a lot of Caddy's on PA. I always see them for sale out there. Maybe they didn't travel far from where they were born.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hmm... What's it doing when you crank it?
Replaced the non-ac pulleys and fuses? Maybe also try some fresh gas. It has been a while since it was ran. Has Castrol Syntec oil in it also...
Also check to see if the dizzy cap is there. Heh, I might have pulled that off to use on my white one. Can't remember.
Tim

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

I put a cap on it. It has spark and I can smell gas but no fire. It just turns over. Do you have the clutch cable?

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

The timing could be off but I thought it would still fire. Did you have the timing belt off or mess with the timing any since it ran last.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I don't remember playing with the timing... And I should have a cable around somewhere...

·
Registered
4,703 Posts

nice to see another Caddy project getting started!! while you are cutting, why not cut a full size Rabbit front end on to it? Get the full size doors and more leg room and an extended cab. if there was one thing I wished for on mine, it would be more room.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,951 Posts

Ill have more time to mess with it tomorrow. I just sent two good cables to the scrap yard too. Is there any thing that Im going to run into while Im working on this car?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (83caddy16v)

I have a 2 door GTI body that I could cut up and do that with. Heck, I'm already planning on using the strut towers from it. Hmmm... Wonder how big of a project that would be. Probably not much more than what I have planned. I need to replace the windshield frame anyway.
I'll seriously look into how much more work that would be to do.
Tim

·
Registered
4,703 Posts

From : http://www.vwpickup.com - there are several other pictures of pickups on the site.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (83caddy16v)

I love that white extended cab and the brown/gold one below it. Hopefully I can manage all the fabrication to construct the beast. This will be my first experience w/welding but will have alot of help from ppl w/experience.
Thanks for the pics!
Tim

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (Dutchman)

well you've got your work cut out for you, but what fun would it be if you didn't? good luck and keep us posted!

/edit when you are finished the Caddy, it can be called Project: Deez Nutz

[Modified by a1jettagli, 11:33 AM 11-25-2001]

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: 80 Caddy, project codename: "Are you nuts?" (a1jettagli)

I'll definately keep ya posted. I'm hoping it only takes a few months to get the cutting/welding done. I'd like to have it done by summer of 2003.
quote:[HR][/HR]well you've got your work cut out for you, but what fun would it be if you didn't? good luck and keep us posted!

/edit when you are finished the Caddy, it can be called Project: Deez Nutz

[Modified by a1jettagli, 11:33 AM 11-25-2001][HR][/HR]​
Haha, maybe I'll have that as a license plate!
Tim

1 - 20 of 20 Posts