VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to rev my 1.8 16v motor to 8000 RPM. I currently turbo and whe the size turbo I'm going ot upgrade to it will have the power to push the motor to 8000 RPM. Anyone have have any suggestion on how I should build the head to support 8000 RPM

·
Registered
95 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (tyrone27)

Better valve springs should be all you need. Autotech sells 16v valve springs that are advertised to hit 8k (go here : http://www.autotech.com/cam_vt.htm) they sell for $138 + shipping.
(shameless plug coming up). But you're in luck! I happen to have the exact same set of springs from Autotech new and unopened that I'm willing to sell for $100 shipped!

drivingon9.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Uhm... perhaps I'm missing something... but how does hp or fi directly influence how fast your motor can spin...? What I mean is "I will have enough power to spin to 8K" seems a bit of a backwards statement...Plus, in an FI motor, that rpm affects all the components aft of the exhaust valve as well - will your turbo set up still be efficient at that rpm? If it is, how will it feel at lower rpm...Maybe I'm off base here but I was just wondering...Me
, very

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (gnashings)

You would only need to go to 8k if you were running an entirey differnt set of cams to make power up there.
Your better off just dynoing or driving the car around untill you find out were its fastest from shift to shift.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (Jetta90WB)

Quote, originally posted by Jetta90WB »
You would only need to go to 8k if you were running an entirey differnt set of cams to make power up there.
Your better off just dynoing or driving the car around untill you find out were its fastest from shift to shift.

Now that sounds like logical advice http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif , couldn't agree more.
Plus, a little reading on engine theory might help you sort out what you want, what does what and why. That's what I'd do, wuz I u...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (gnashings)

if you are already pushing say, a bar of boost, why would you want to rev to 8k unless you were out to make 400hp, and lose all bottom end? basically turning it into a race car.

Modified by adidas_mc at 8:33 PM 5-25-2004

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 8000 RPM push (adidas_mc)

i'm pushing about 15psi now. can go to 20 if I wanted to on my current turbo. I'm doing a P&P head cams and a upgraded turbo so I'm thinking if I have power up there why not push it. Last time I was at the track I came through redlining in 4th gear going into 5th.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (adidas_mc)

Quote, originally posted by adidas_mc »
if you are already pushing say, a bar of boost, why would you want to rev to 8k unless you were out to make 400hp, and lose all bottom end? basically turning it into a race car.

Or a Honda...

·
Registered
878 Posts

tyrone, you might need to consider underdriving the waterpump and the alt...they will not be very happy @8000 RPM

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (sccaITA16V)

Aight... not sound cocky, but I think I'm the only person on the Vortex qualified to speak on experience here.
I have run 24psi on a 1.8l 16v at 8,500RPM with no problems. Why do that, you ask? B/C with a big turbo, I don't see good boost until 4,000 rpms, so I need to extend my powerband upwards.
All I did to the head was Schrick HD Springs and Titanium retainers. The bottom end was ARP everything and shot peened rods w/JE Forged pistons.
The engine pulled STRONG up to about 8k. Everything above that was ego. In fact, boost with stock cams and you'll hit a MAJOR brick wall at 8,400.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 8000 RPM push (vdubturbo)

exactly
same thing here i'm getting a t3/t4 60-1 turbo so I won't see boost until 3500-4000 RPM.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Re: 8000 RPM push (vdubturbo)

its not bragging if its true! same goes for cocky, and in this case, youcan spen $$$$ to find out yourself, or listen to vdubturbo and save the money/time/aggrevation... what he said is just too effin logical not to be true, plus, it reflects every other truly knowledgeable person I have ever dealt with on the subject.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts