VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased at 75k. Dealer maintained, so I'm guessing that was marginal. Would love to make this one last another 100k. What I should I preventatively fix? And how can I improve mpg (only getting about 15 with no mods).

Going through the threads, I come up with a huge list. Could use some help prioritizing.

- Plugs & Wires (is the 1.8-2.0 coil change a good idea?)
- Fuel Filter, Air Filter
- Coolant Flush
- Brakes, Brake Fluid
- T-Belt, Tensioner, Water pump (w/ metal impeller), Valve Gasket Cover, Thermostat, ECT, Dampener
- CPS (don't know what this is, but it made someone's list)
- Oil pan is brand spanking new..... got the alum/steel hybrid. Always used synthetic.
- Suspension? Mounts, Bushings Shocks/Struts? It's a little rough and a little noisy so it might be time.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Purchased at 75k. Dealer maintained, so I'm guessing that was marginal. Would love to make this one last another 100k. What I should I preventatively fix? And how can I improve mpg (only getting about 15 with no mods).

Going through the threads, I come up with a huge list. Could use some help prioritizing.

- Plugs & Wires (is the 1.8-2.0 coil change a good idea?)
- Fuel Filter, Air Filter
- Coolant Flush
- Brakes, Brake Fluid
- T-Belt, Tensioner, Water pump (w/ metal impeller), Valve Gasket Cover, Thermostat, ECT, Dampener
- CPS (don't know what this is, but it made someone's list)
- Oil pan is brand spanking new..... got the alum/steel hybrid. Always used synthetic.
- Suspension? Mounts, Bushings Shocks/Struts? It's a little rough and a little noisy so it might be time.
Here's my ordering.

1) Tbelt, etc... - needs to happen every 65k. If it's overdue, then it's time.
2) Oil change + filter every 5k. Fully synthetic 5W40 (castrol syntec, mobil1, amsoil, etc etc)
3) Intake and exhaust leak tests. See my sig. These leaks are your enemy on a 1.8t. If the PCV system is leaking (likely) buy a 034 motorsports silicon replacement kit.
4) Fuel filter, air filter, clean MAF (w/ maf cleaner), clean TB
5) check suspension. In particular rear control arm bushings and all shocks and struts.
6) transmission fluid change, coolant change, spark plug change (every 60k I think with the stock plugs, this car doesn't have traditional spark plug wires...it is coil on plug), check all your grounds...replace ground strap if bad grounds are found (see my sig for grounding tips)
7) Clean the bay. Spend some time on it and get it as clean as you can. If you come across stuff you don't know what it is, take a pic and post it. Get to know your car.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Don't stock 1.8T plugs have to be replaced every 40k as per the owners manual? I change mine every 5k just cause they're the copper BKR7E's that are recommended for chipped 1.8T's but from what I understand, even the platinum plugs won't go that long. Anyways, otherwise I fully agree with the above :) Also, how in the heck do you manage 15mpg in a stock 1.8T? I've never even gotten that bad going to track day events!! Any CEL's on the dash?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Don't stock 1.8T plugs have to be replaced every 40k as per the owners manual? I change mine every 5k just cause they're the copper BKR7E's that are recommended for chipped 1.8T's but from what I understand, even the platinum plugs won't go that long. Anyways, otherwise I fully agree with the above :) Also, how in the heck do you manage 15mpg in a stock 1.8T? I've never even gotten that bad going to track day events!! Any CEL's on the dash?
Probably.

In that case, replace the spark plugs every 40k. lol. That was off the top of my head. If you're OEM, just keep to the OEM plugs...they work.

15mpg means there's a problem. Any properly running 1.8t should get over 20MPG...no matter how heavy the foot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Check Engines yet. Still learning how to hear this car (just came out of a long term relationship with a VR6). Hoping that catching some leaks and replacing the plugs and coils will help with the mpg.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.