• Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
81 Caddy Build Thread (VR6)

Hey Mk1 World,
About a month + ago I picked up a Caddy for my younger brother to daily and for it to be a family project car Purchased from "Slats". Slats is a really great guy he has so much knowledge and history of Vw that we could spend days/months talking. I wanted to make a build thread to have some what a document/share the build and evolving of the Caddy.

Plans-
-Repaint the whole car/ Circle Head lights conversion/Euro bumpers
-over haul the interior

-Air ride
-Set of wheels (still can't decide on what i want)

The Caddy is in really great shape very minimal rust and solid shock towers. It has a 8v gasoline engine swap with a bunch of Gti goodies.
-Gti Grill
-Gti fender flares
-snow flake wheels
-Gti Dash
-Scirocco steering wheel
I'm sure I missed something......

Here are the pictures (sorry some of them are iphone )

The day we first went to check it out My Brother already behind the drivers seat..

Inside

Home-

Once again sorry for the bad pictures More to come soon :)

And here is a picture of my Gli to show were I come from....

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Since owning the car we bed-liner the bed, installed front coil-overs, fixed the radio and installed a bigger clutch and lighter fly wheel.
(special thanks to Jayson and Logan @ Mobileone for the clutch and flywheel)
I didn't take pictures since i didn't have my camera but here's what i do have off my phone...

- wheel brushed the bed to get any surface rust off
- Spray Painted with rust prevention painted
- Applied Dupli-Color Bed-Armor
The only picture i have from that day

And one of the front with coil-overs ( me and Ari believe they are vmaxx but were not 100% they came off his car)

Rear Drop Plates have been Ordered and a box of goodies should be coming in tomorrow :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Truck looks like a solid starting point:thumbup:

Keep the front end square ;)

When you get ready to throw out the dashmat- send it to me

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Truck looks like a solid starting point:thumbup:

Keep the front end square ;)

When you get ready to throw out the dashmat- send it to me
haha If i ever do you get first grabs on the dashmat

well since my last post my brother steam cleaner the whole interior the caddy had like a gas smell inside but now its fresh and clean :)

some parts came in yesterday!!
New Control arms with ball joints and poly bushings
hood lifts
duckbill lip

Hopefully i'll have the control arms on today the ones on the car are done for

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We installed the control arms Last Friday night. Passenger side took about 20mins and Drivers side took forever. I believe the driver side was the original control arm and the passenger side was replaced. The reason I think this is because the balljoint on the passenger side was bolted to the control arm where as the drivers was riveted on.

Here are some pictures-
Old VS New

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
HAD to subscribe! Good Luck Mark!
Thanks slats! heard you saw the car @ Treffen I didnt see you? I was in the unitronics tent most of the show

Also had to subscribe.
How did the bedliner turn out?
Bed liner came out great!

Well I don't really have any new updates I have been busy with school and work. Also me and Ari went to H2o this weekend which was amazing. We got alot of motivation seeing all the amazing cars and the work that people put into them.

The car had a random oil leak which I believe we fixed. I first replaced the gasket to the oil cooler but still had a small leak , I then replaced the oil pressure switch and thought done no Leak! but a day or so later another leak!?!?! at this point I had enough I didn't have time to look at it because it was the day before H2o. But my dad gave me a call while at ocean city and said that he believes there is a (rubber washer/gasket) missing from the dip stick..He installed a small (rubber washer/gasket) and said ever since then it hasn't leaked! I guess will have to wait and see....Any Ideas on finding a replacement for a 1.6 dipstick ?

-Currently I'm waiting on some drop plates for the rear beam to come in the mail. Also need to install the duckbill lip. Now I'm debating on which way to take the project next....Find a 1.8t now? start on the body work/ wheels? air ride? or work on the interior? decisions decisions

I'll leave this post with a picture from Mid-West Treffen

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Yep saw the car at Treffen sorry I missed you.I guess my Wagon won the car parked in the spectator parking lot that should have been entered in the show but I had left by then!Keep the updates coming.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Nice looking caddy

Awesome that you found such a straight and rust free caddy to start with. Mine's a work in progress ... Where did you get new control arms with the poly bushings already installed?

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
Both control arms are prob. factory... just the bolted on ball joint was replaced. They riveted on the BJ from the factory.

Nice truck BTW.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome that you found such a straight and rust free caddy to start with. Mine's a work in progress ... Where did you get new control arms with the poly bushings already installed?
Thanks the control arms are off Blackforest Industries I believe still on sale
Both control arms are prob. factory... just the bolted on ball joint was replaced. They riveted on the BJ from the factory.

Nice truck BTW.
Thank you!

1 - 20 of 248 Posts