VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the middle of swapping a 4.3 vortec, 4l60e, and a gm rear axle (all came out of a 01 GMC jimmy). When I can afford to I'll change the 4l60e to a nv3500. As of current I'm In the process of cutting the firewall and floor for the transmission and the only headache I have with it is relocating the steering rack. Before anyone says I picked a terrible engine/tranny/rear end. Keep in mind I'm funding this whole project while still in highschool so my choices were limited. I'm using the cards I have been delt. I'm currently in college classes at my highschool for welding/fabrication so I have the ability and means to fabricate the transmission/driveshaft tunnel and mounts for the rear axle. Currently waiting on the steel for the rear axle mounts, for the 4 link, and the tunnel. Don't worry I will strip the paint and repaint the engine bay and get all of the gunk out of the floor.
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tints and shades Aircraft Space Gas Machine

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Car Trunk

·
Registered
997 Posts
Awesome build, especially for a high school project. I love front engine/rear drive conversions like this. And a V6 should be a good size package for it; I know V8's have been swapped into a Mk1 so the width is no problem, and the length of a V6 is shorter so that is a big plus - avoiding it from reaching too far into the passenger compartment. Please keep us updated. :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've had thoughts of doing a front engine / rear drive conversion to my Caddy. For me it would be just a toy; big smokey burnouts, drifts, etc. I even looked around at donor vehicle options for the driveline to swap. One of the cheapest choices that seems readily available is the Fox body Mustang. But I also considered mating the VW engine to a rear drive transmission (turned longitudinal obviously). With a turbo conversion it would provide enough power to do what I want. However the engine/transmission adaptor kits are more expensive than an entire used Mustang. :oops:

Another thought might be to build a complete frame with the selected drivetrain, suspension, steering, etc, and drop the Caddy body over it (i.e. no longer unibody construction). With that the cab floor could be replaced to be flush with the bed floor, allowing the truck to lay flat on the ground with air bags. Lots of possibilities. And it would be lots of fun to play with.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

This is a old thread I started to discuss some of these ideas:

Here is a decent example of a LS V8 converted Caddy:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive air manifold

Here is more info on it: An LS-Swapped Rear Wheel Drive VW Rabbit Pickup – Now With 366 RWHP

This one used a turboed Toyota 2JZ engine if I recall correctly:
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel

One common option is to mount the engine and trans in the Caddy's bed (i.e. rear engine/rear drive). But that does not interest me for my intended use.

There have been a number of front engine/rear drive Mk1 Rabbits/Golfs done. So the steering issue has been rectified before. However I don't know what they did, other than the idea I mentioned previously...swap the left and right front hubs to put the steering spindles forward and use a RHD steering rack flipped over. I'm sure there are other common racks out there (from other vehicles) that are made for front steering and can be adapted.

Definitely guild it your way. Unfortunately Vortex is full of negativity, sarcasm, rudeness, discouragement, etc...all just forms of penis envy I'm sure. :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ordered a right hand drive steering rack last night. As well as cut most the firewall out yesterday. I'm finishing up cutting the firewall today. I'll be posting pictures tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to mock up the engine in the car this weekend.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I ordered a right hand drive steering rack last night.
Curious where the rack is from and what the cost was?

Here is a pic of the steering on the "LS" V8 swapped Caddy I showed before:
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior

As you can see it still has the original subframe, suspension and strut uprights...just swapped side to side in order to locate the steering knuckles forward. He made a bracket for the steering rack that mounts to the stock frame horns. Really a fairly simple solution I think.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thus build reminds me of this basic 4.3 build they did on power nation...ended up making ~260hp/290tq. Not too shabby on a 5k rpm engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts