VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As you all may have seen I'm loaded with questions about issues with my 83 Caddy build. Caddy newbee learning curve I guess.

I'm attempting to take a fairly clean 83' with working factory a/c, 5 speed 1.6 diesel, original rust free west coast body and paint. My goal is a fun to drive usable clean daily driver status high m.p.g. small pickup for the wife.

So far
1] UPGRADED Giles built injection pump replaced leaky restricted unit, all new motor mounts
2] new carpet dark brown
3] UPGRADED Recaro seats w/ mk2 power track upgrade
4] UPGRADED LX woodgrain dash w/ 6k tach, backlit
5] UPGRADED Cabriolet console & VDO voltage, oil temp. & pressure gauges, backlit
6] UPGRADED Scirocco 3 spoke sports wheel, dark brown
7] UPGRADED intermittant wiper upgrade
8] UPGRADED Scirocco larger 10.1" vented brembo gold cross drilled rotors, rebuilt calipers.
9] UPGRADED H/D leaf rear springs and over load extra from parts truck.
10] UPGRADED dual remote cabby mirrors, when thru door internal workings, lube ect...
11] UPGRADED "lights left on with key off" warning buzzer and battery disconect
12] bought a 3-2-1 manifold & down pipe for enhansing upgraded Giles pump performance
13] 4 polished snowflakes rims, new 185x65x14 altimax hp tires.
14] been locating misc. body misc. for paint this summer. Got flairs, [email protected]@king for front euro bumper & duckbill spoiler. May entertain doing newer gti style body kit

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
as it sat when bought

rubbed out and getting mirrors ready

replacing these w/ polished snowflakes and new rubber

Nice set of gold cross drilled Brembo's await the Scirocco 10" conversion

new recaro's

stripping interior for carpet, seat bracket build/mock up and console/gauge install

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
why not just find a set of mk2 recaro bases instead of drilling into your floor?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few holes never hurt noone. Easily removed, and probably a hell of alot easier. (read: Thrifty) :beer:
I learn something new everyday. I've never dealt with mk2 seats before so I'm not familiar with them. I would think the aftermarket Recaro's fitment to oem bracket height would need modifying anyway?

·
Registered
181 Posts
MK2 Recaros have an electric height adjustment on the bracket and slide right in to a Mk1. I have two for my jetta coupe but only one recaro bracket. time to visit the fab shop! :thumbup:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I learn something new everyday. I've never dealt with mk2 seats before so I'm not familiar with them. I would think the aftermarket Recaro's fitment to oem bracket height would need modifying anyway?
you unbolt the aftermarket recaros from their bases and you bolt them to the mk2 bases. they slide right into the mk1 then. nice and easy.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
The hard part here being not actually using the mk2 recaro bases... but HAVING the mk2 recaro bases.

Sometimes even with modification its easier to use what you have on hand.
err yeah.. this is true.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
so you're trying to kill your wife? you want those bolts to pull through the floor pan?

hack job

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Plenty of manufacturers use this style of mounting seats with no ill effects. Why is it a problem here?

Not much "pulling up" forces in a crash.
You're so dumb.

Plenty of manufacturers reinforced the area where seatbelts are bolted into.

You NEED backing plates if you're gonna hack job it up.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
You're so dumb.

Plenty of manufacturers reinforced the area where seatbelts are bolted into.

You NEED backing plates if you're gonna hack job it up.
Usually, I can't stand the **** this guy says, but he really does have a point here. Thats kinda why I suggested using MK2 recaro bases.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I very much agree on the back plates. Also those little grade 8 bolts look kinda sketch with the washers...

I also think that 30 year old floor pan isn't as strong as it once was, even less with a couple holes in em now. Cant wait to see that in 2 years once you sell it to some poor SOB....

1 - 20 of 50 Posts