VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
281 - 300 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
FV-QR

holy moses, rune will you please come back and work on the mk1 again?
seems like every other car gets love and attention but the poor mk1 is crying alone in a dark corner of the shop somewhere!!! ;)

fantastic result on the A4 bay looks better than new, would you call that OEM+ now?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
holy moses, rune will you please come back and work on the mk1 again?
seems like every other car gets love and attention but the poor mk1 is crying alone in a dark corner of the shop somewhere!!! ;)

fantastic result on the A4 bay looks better than new, would you call that OEM+ now?
Hey Jens ... I really want to get that Polo out of the garage soon, and get back to the Golf. Even my boss started asking me what was going on with the Golf :facepalm:

As a small gift for the Golf, I just bought a set of orignal taillights that should be in very good condition. I will see when they show up...

I'm really pleased with the result on the Audi, and yes I guess you can call it OEM or OEM+ Jens, the car is a weird mix up. Parts added from S4, RS4, Passat W8 and Passat VR5...

Btw Jens - Do me a favor and drink some Glühwein down in Germany :heart::thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 · (Edited)
Time to blow the dust off, and try to bring this thread back to life - It has once again been ages since updates here... but I will try!

The Polo Classic on last page, did not just turn out as the easy fix that me and my friend hoped fore. We ended up overdoing everything, which resulted in a very good car and overall result, for it took forever to get it done and after that it still took up workspace until it got sold.

Alot of rust was removed, but we had to remove fueltank and complete rearsuspension.

Painted!

Outside for the first time in many month - ready for sale!

Have been collecting parts for the Golf all the time - always on the search for cool parts and pieces...

Bought chrome bumpers, need brackets and endcaps - a little rough in the chrome but a polish made them much nicer. Need to get pictures of them after polish..

Also collecting parts for Recaro front seat - Got a set of these netted headrests for free! Pretty good score, I have always liked these...

Also helped my friend with a windshield replacement on his Passat 35i - the paint under was badly damaged when the windshield was replaced earlyer on. Needed to clean it up... Bad rust! :screwy:

Sprayed with epoxy and ready for paint:

Painted and new windshield glued in ...

Started up the work on the Golf 1 finally not to long ago - I knew the gotton of the windshield A-post had rust in the corner.. found holes:

Nothing major but i had gone through 2 layers of metal.. inner layers reoaired.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 · (Edited)
Have been working steady on the Golf lately ..

Got driverside A-pillar corner done - sorry about the blurry picture:

I them wanted to finish some of the loose ends, and get the floor and wheelwells done. This meant that I started the huge job of removing all of the old sealer and rustprotection!

Scraped of most of it by hand, the small remains will be removed with wirebrushes on the anglegrinder. Finally i will then use 2K epoxyprimer to close the surface.

Driverside - clean! All the rust was removed earlyer in the process:

Front driverside before ..

No rust here either... :thumbup:

Even A-arm mounting point are pretty good - only small areas of surface rust

Continued work on the bottom .. pretty tuff and boring job, but I hope the result will be nice.

Bought this Epoxyprimer - It is american made and originally intended for ships. I hope it will protect cars also :)

I got a good amount of these big cans of original VW underbody protection also - this might be good later on

Not really related to the bodywork, but i picked up this brand new, never used BBS leather stearingwheel sometime ago - got it at a nice price:

Meanwhile in the garage the Golf 2 GTi 16V moved in more permanently again - My friend Tobias started the big restore. It will need alot of bodywork also...

It is now almost completly taken apart - only the subframes are left, and he has started cutting away on the rust - (This picture is taken before that..)

More updates coming ... :wave:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #287 ·
Lately I did work on the passengerside A-pillar corner .. The rust damage here was almost the same as driverside:

Only difference was this rust a bit more forward ...

As always - Cut out rust, clean up, do a new piece of metal and make it fit:

Weld and continue to next rust spot ...

Ready for next layer of metal:

All done and primered ...

Also got this side cleaned up:

.... and now it is time for christmas and the food! - MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone! :grinsanta:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 ·
Thanks for your kind replyes...! :thumbup:

It is always nice knowing other people get inspired ...

Clarkson - You should do a project thread when you pick up your GTI

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
Did some more work in the Christmas holiday ...

Found some rust hiding between the layers of the front suspension towers .. Could not just ignore it:

Removed and fresh metal put in:

Driverside metalwork done, cleaned and degreased - ready for epoxy :thumbup:

Repaired this area on both sides of the car:

Clean A-arm mounts ! -

First coat of epoxy - Needs atleast one more layer:

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 · (Edited)
Since the last update the weather changed around here. It got colder and I could not continue the work with the Epoxy primer, because of the low temperature. Therefore needed to do something else until the weather get warmer again...

I finished up the welding in the passengerside inner wing, found some rust around the struttower, and behind the bracket for the washerbottle in the enginebay:

Brackets always have rust on the back because of bad paint access from the factory:

Read up on notching the chassis legs, but did not want to go all the way and cut a huge opening in the car. This could give me a problem at the inspection once the car is done. Therefore I only changed the area of the pinchweld, to give more driveshaft clearance. Grinded/cut down and welded up!
Not that big a difference, but better than nothing i guess... I got 1/2 - 3/4 inch more clearence i think.

After these things where done, I started working on repairing one of the original doors from the car. My plan was too change these, but one the replacements I found was from and earlier car and therefore with some diffenrences.

My original doors are really bad in the bottom, and lower corners...

Frontend corner cut clean inside and outside - repaired the reinforcement for the hinges...

Started making and new inner corner:

Welded in and cut too size...

Outer corner made too fit - don't look that hard to doo, but a pretty tricky part with the curves, folds and bends...

Welded on and cleaned the area around the hinges...

Also made new parts to replace lower outer edge, and also the channel inside of the doors lower edge that holds the rubber doorseal... More on this in next update! ;)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
keep updating!
- looking forward to see the car driving around in denmark!
Thanks! - I will keep updating...

I look forward to getting the car out on the roads :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
What is new since last update?

The work on the door turned out to be a little harder than I thought... :what:

And usual that means more work, and more time spend. I has given me some problems, but it looks much better now.

Got the new inner part of the bottom welded in:

This also forms the groove for the rubber doorseal:

Got ready too mark and cut the outer part:

The cut has been made - Inside of the door cleaned and old rust protection removed before covering with weld primer:

Tacked in place:

Welded really slowly to avoid to much heat and warping ... Also notice the new drain holes made in the bottom:

Even if I tryed to be careful the long weld and the wobbly panel warped, and pulled in when welded. Had to do some pulling, to straighen the panel back :mad:

Not perfect but much better...

You can just spot the gap ...

Almost done .. last corners and welds cleaned up...

Also turned some attention to the rear right inner wheel well. This was the last part of the underside that still had a small remain of bodysealer left.

I have removed most of it now

I knew I had some more work here - The bracket (captive nut) for the seatbelt had rust from the outside. Almost none of the threads for the bolt where left.

Drilled it out from the inside of the trunk, the plate had also rusted through here:

Ahh the enemy...

Cut, cleaned and welded in, including and new bracket for the seatbelt:

The bracket is cut and recycled from a Golf 2 - welded in:

:thumbup: Also just scored a good deal on some NOS VW parts for the Golf - more on that later when I get some pictures of that! :thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
Just spent the last hour reading through your thread. OUTSTANDING work done! Keep it up. :thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks for all of the pictures of your rust repair. They surly will come in handy one of these days.
Thanks for your kind reply! - I think I have said it before, but I'm always happy when my work helps or inspire other people here. I have been inspired alot by other Vortex'ers - and it's nice to contribute!

I know I posts a shedload of pictures, but some people like it - others are bored perhaps! I also use this thread as a "timeline" of the build.

Looking great!
Thanks Joe!

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Because of May 1 I did'nt have too work today! :thumbup:

Spend the day working on the Golf - and got some more work done.

Replaced a small area close too the seatbelt mountingpoint shown in last update, also replaced some of the edge of the reinforcement for the shocktower.
The most shiny areas are the ones done:

I wanted to get some more epoxyprimer on the shell today, because I was alone in the shop. The smell from the epoxy is bad, and the fumes toxic. Therefore I got to work with the big filtermask on.

Wirebrushed the front right inner fender:

First coat:

Driverside rear, wirewheeled and ready for first coat:

Got some runs, but don't mind down here:

Driverside front had first coat along time ago - did another coat today. Coverage look good now:

I mentioned yesterday that I just bought two boxes of NOS VW parts. When I bought them, I actually had no idea what was at the bottom of the boxes. It was exciting to come home and unbox the things!

Here are some sneak peaks of the contents:

The POLO sticker on top is part of a complete set of early Polo/Audi 50 sidestripes - that must be pretty rare today!

The boxes contains various brakeparts, 2 clutches, CV joints, relais, windscreenwasher pumps, charge relais for alternators, oil filters, carburetor gasket kits, and alot of other small bits and pieces....

2 brakedrums - looks sad, but they are just covered in some wax to protect them :thumbup:

Also found 2 brake masters - I hope the rubber inside them survived the many years in storage:

Did I mention that I only paid something like 70$ (375 kroner) for all of it :D:peace::thumbup:

281 - 300 of 341 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.