VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
301 - 320 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 · (Edited)
Another update, with the work done since last time:

Made new mounting points for the piece of plastic that protect the fueltank breather hoses ...

Everything covered with first layer of epoxy primer

Decided to redo an area that I repaired way back in the project. I was not happy with the previous work I had done - 2 steps forward, and 1 step back ... :banghead:

Cut up the old weld, removed the parts of the metal that was overlaying and welded back together. The area had twisted when done the first time. Now it is much better, and more straight!

Also started the work with removing some big dents in the passenger side door. The area around the door handle was badly dented when I picked up the door.

Better ...

Got back another area where I had messed up the first time - The holes for the licenseplate lamps where done in the wrong place, which ment the lamps would not seal correct...

Re-did the holes:

Also got the last rust spots in the rubberseal area replaced:

Next problem was some rust spots under the driverside rear windowseal, removed the glass and seal to look at the damage:

Poked a little with the tip of a screwdriver - metal or more like rust, thin as paper ...

Find the edges of the rust, mark the area and prepare to cut out:

Fresh piece made, and welded in - much better :thumbup:

Still working on the other hole in the frame - the result will be in next update...

Since last update I picked up some more parts for the car. Once again I got them for resonable prises...

This time it was a NOS Hella/VW headlight (only one sadly...), and a set of NOS original VW chrome door handles. The chrome is almost perfect, I just need to re-key the driverside handle to my match my old locks.
The one for the passenger side don't have a lock, but I'm thinking about re-installing the centrallocking system that was in the car anyway.

SHINY ....! :eek:

At another VW guy I bought to different Schrick cams. one of them a 288[SUP]o[/SUP], the other I can't remember at the time. One of them should be unused, the other with only few miles on it.
Together with the cams I bought a almost brand new Remus exhaust (This will be sold again as I don't like the huge "fartcan" outlet on this one), also a Supersprint Group A exhaust with the classic upturned tip, this one also almost unused. Also got a 2H engine with a bad crank bearings. Not sure how much will be useable from this engine. The head should be OK though.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 · (Edited)
What happened since the last update ...

I got the driverside rear window opening finished of ..

Also found a solution to another old problem. The doorhinge on the driverside door had seen better days. I found replacements on some old Golf Mk 2 doors. One I had cleaned them and mounted them on my own door, I discovered that Mk 2 use bigger bolts :banghead:
I did not want to change the hinges again as these where quite good. The solution I found where thread inserts normally used i the threads are destroyed. Here they are in place with locktite! Works well ...

Since last update here, I got sidetracked by another project. My friend got one more Passat - the silver on here next to his "Calypso Green" Passat:

Also taking up space in the garage now:

Decided to continue pulling the glass from the Golf - this time windscreen:

Minimal rust in the driverside lower corner :thumbup:

Fast fix for that little area...

I also pulled the rest of the dashboard and wiring harness to get access to the glass...

Some of the most recent work i started was the attempt to mock up the new front fenders - They are not original VW parts and therefore I am a little worried that they could bring alot of work to make them fit! :facepalm:

The first quick mounting, showed that some areas where a quite good match - here up against the borner and bottom I replaced on the driverside door:

Other areas are more of a problem - the shutline along the hood ain't that good :mad:

Left that while thinking of a solution and continued with something else. I have gone back to the endless task of cleaning the underside of the body before covering with epoxy primer.
This time I started with the area above the fueltank, including the area where the rear subframe mount:

Wirebrushed, degreased and ready fore epoxy ... I also fabricated some new brackets for the brakehoses going to the rear subframe. Also welded in studs preparing for Golf 5 style brakeline plastic clips...
I did not want the original exhaust hangers made from pressed sheat metal, these where rusty and I drilled them of the body. I decided to weld in nuts, making me able to mount some homemade brackets with bolts later on, when time comes.

Home made brakehose brackets - old ones behind...

First rough layer of epoxy - would have been so much easyer if I was able to lay the car on its side

My plan right now is to get the epoxy work finished on the underside, before it gets to Cold outside. I can allready feel winter coming closer and I dont want to work on the floor by then! :)

More updates soon I hope...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
Thanks Jens - The rust work is done I hope, now it is just the final clean up before the epoxy! Also alot of small tasks like the brackets and brakehose/fuelline mounts....

But yes, it takes alot of patience - you know how long I have been on this project (and off it...) :)

The fenders are Veng or Klokkerholm - can't really remember! I think I got one of the for free, and the other one with a good discount - therefore I took what i could get :bs:
Know I wish there where original VW parts, but I have seen the pricetag on those ... I guess I will try to adjust these until that gets boring :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Still working on the epoxy. The weather is still relatively warm for the season here.

I'm making good progress on the tight areas around the sparewheel and trunkarea.

I also did a second coat in the rear right arch, and in gastank area ...

Just found some parts at home that I got along time ago, and almost forgot :

Jägermeister floormat set front and rear...

Rear quarter flares picked up directy at Volkswarenhaus in Germany - Now called Werk34

I just recently got this in the mail - 2 NOS VW switches. A headlightswitch and rearwindow defroster switch. Got them cheap online.

Another little thing I have been doing on the sideline, is refinishing my winterwheels for my Audi dailydriver. The salt on the roads had made them look pretty sad. I cleaned them, sanded them and removed the worst deep damages done by the salt. Next step was paint.
Wanted something different from the old standard silver, and did them in satin flatblack, with shiny red logos...

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 · (Edited)
I Can't believe I haven't updated this in 7-8 months ... :eek:

Therefore a small update on what has been going on in this period of time:

This Passat stole alot of time, rebuild the cylinderhead because of huge oilconsumption, did some brakelines, full brake service, changed rear springs (Stole these from my Audi A4 B5 Avant parts car :D). Also did wheel alignment in house - Yes our hobby garage is well equipped! :)

The left rear arch had rust due to a old damage repair that where not done right - therefore cut and repair indside at first:

Then outside:

Continue with primer and paint:

Restoring the summer wheels for my dailydriver also stole some time in between... Before and after:

The Golf has been suffering from all the other Things done, but I finally found a solution on some issues that had been spinning in my mind. One of them was alternative mounts for the fuel lines. Once again the solution came from my Audi A4 B5 parts car that gave me these stainless/rubber mounts. I then welded in stainless mounting taps for them on the bottom of the car.

Old picture that don't show the current status, but the underside of the Golf is now coverred with several layers of epoxy primer.

Cleaned the inside from dust, and all glass is taken out now, good news is that the right rear window frame is free from rust! :thumbup:

Found this old set of vertical Weber DCNF carbs, that I might wanna try in the future - when everything else is completted :) (Always good to think ahead :bs:)

These carbs are not often used on watercooled VW's - Only German Hartmann Motorsport did a complete performance set back in the 80's. The manifold I have here is not made for VW and can not be used. Hartmann manifold is more or less made from unoptanium, only chance to find that will be German Ebay and lots of money! :)
Hartmann Motorsport liked these carbs as they where compact, and did not interfear with the raintray. They where also easyer to supply with Cold air, instead of sidedrafts sucking in warm air above the exhaust.
Pretty cool oldschool 8v tuning ...

These following pictures are NOT mine - but shows how the Hartmann Tuning kit with airbox, manifold and carbs look like ...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Small update - but still working on it ... :)

Received this in the mail, bought online - anyone know who could have made it?
Im told it was mounted in a 1970's Audi 80 1,6 before...

On the body, the work continues with the epoxy primer - wanted to get rid of the spraycan primer that I had used in the enginebay back when I was cleaning that.
Horrible job to sand it back down, but I think it needs to be done before the final paint.

My plan is to get the entire enginebay done now - and hoping to get much closer to paint soon!

:wave:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #308 ·
A small update on my work - Since last time I did more cleaning and preparation for paint.

I removed the sound deadening material in the raintray, I was worried that it could be hiding rust, but luckily there wasn't anything :thumbup:

Lower part of enginebay was ready for epoxyprimer ...

A long time ago I drilled out the battery tray. I have never being happy with the factory solution of welding in the tray. The area is impossible to clean and paint correctly, therefore I wanted the battery tray to be removable.

I started with closing all of the old spotweld holes with the welder. I then drilled holes that makes it possible to mount the part with nut and bolts on the gearbox mount.
In the other end I fabricated a reinforced edge from thicker material and welded that in. Now to bolts can go through the inner wing also.

Finally I trimmed the edges of the batterytray, just to clean up the look - and make it flow better with the others lines in the enginebay.

Small details, but I like the result! :)

I decided to buy my self a nice gift - and ordered a new H&R Twintube Coilover kit :p
Got it a few days later delivered from Germany, dampers are made from stainless steal...

Also ordered some other parts from another German parts supplier: New fueltank, watercooler with integrated overflow tank, rubbergators for the stearingrack, lower balljoints, Hella licenceplate lights, timingbelt kit, and some other small bits and parts ...

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Just read through the entire thread.

Amazing job on the rust repair and restoration. Looking forward to seeing updates on this in the future. My 79 will need some rust repair at some point. Your thread will definitely be an inspiration to take on the challenge.

Keep up the clean work. :beer:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Thanks for your support! - I'm always happy when other people get inspired! :)

My updates are slow some times, but they will come.

This project have been going on forever, and I really want to get some paint on the body soon! Problem is that I'm not sure what colour too choose, and who I should choose to do the paint work? :confused:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #311 ·
Found the old fueltank straps that I once removed from the car. There was several coats of rustprotection on them, but not enough to avoid the rust from eating them anyway!
Removed the rubber strip fitted on the side that goes against the tank, and scrapped all of the rustprotection of. Here is a before and after picture:

Once cleaned up, I took out the new fueltank to do a little test fit. The tank is not original, and I did not know how crappy the fitment was - but it seems to be OK! :thumbup:

Tank in place under the car ...

Next plan is to fabricate a set of new tank straps from stainless steal - I have found materials. Will start cutting and welding soon I hope. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #312 ·
Spend some time on fabricating my stainless steal tank straps. They look pretty much like the factory ones, as there design is clean and simple. Only minor changes made by me.

The end brackets and hooks are thicker material, than the straps them self.

Started with cutting, bending and drilling the needed parts:

Then fired up the TIG-welder with the intend of boiling the parts together... I'm really far from the best TIG welder, and I soon discovered that it is a bit more tricky than I remembered! :facepalm:

I havent done that much TIG welding before, therefore the result could have been better. But I think the parts will work, and I made them myself! I like that feeling...

I will give them a quick polish to clean up the surface later on. Just need to test fit them to see if they actually fit, even if the size are like ones I took of the car :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 · (Edited)
I'm still on a stand still with finishing my enginebay because of the weather. It is still too cold to apply epoxyprimer, but I have been sanding and preparing some areas. I'm hope that I wont get fine surface rust on all these open areas before I can get the primer on.

Found a small area with rust, all the way down in the outer corner of the frontsupport - all removed, and repaired on this picture though ...

Did a lot of small detail things that most people wont ever notice. Like these notches that where badly misaligned - I reshaped them with the grinder.

I made a different end on the seam on the frame rail, to make space for the wiring harness.

After receiving my new gastank, and fabricting the new tankstraps, I decided that I would need a new rubber connector hose to the fillerneck.

Ordered one from VW Classic Parts, along with a Kamei shiftknob, and some new washers for the rearbeam. I can order directly from Classic Parts at work. I also get a discount and don't pay for the delivery :peace:

Good reason to get a new hose - the old one turned hard as plastic

These are some parts that i got last year, but never showed in here, as i forgot to take pictures:

NOS set of Hella H4 headlights, same as the ones mounted from the factory:

Complete with bulbs and everything. I found similar sets in a catalog and this set is probably from the mid 80's. Amazing that it was never used, but just stored and survived with the original box and everything.

I'm also collecting VDO gauges for the centerconsole, and I buy them when I find them and they are cheap. These two will need a good clean and some paint on the surround, but they can be saved.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
I have a MIG welder that I can use well enough to fantasize that I know how to weld, and a welder friend of mine let me try his TIG, which I failed at badly. You are IMO being far too modest about your welds :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #315 ·
Thanks alot echassin - maybe I'm just picky with my own work.

Compared to some of the welding work you can find online, I do have room for improvement! :D
Guess the difference is if you TIG weld everyday, and/or work as fabricator .. I dont!

But I'm happy that someone can appreciate my work anyway :thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
I just did a rebuild and clean-up of the heaterbox and blower.

I know that these parts probably are a bit different from the US cars, and also don't have AC - but maybe it can be usefull to some people.

This is the complete assembly, as it was when it was pulled out of the car. It is complete with controls, heatercore and the wiring for the blower:

Covered up in 30+ years of dirt, grease and dust and dry leaves ...

"Controlpanel" from the dash - also well dirty:

More oil and dust on the parts mounted in the raintray - The blower and resistor was tested before I started the clean-up as I did not want to Waste time on broken parts. But everything worked as it should! :thumbup:

Removed the blower and wiring, marked up the cables for the controlpanel and took them off. Then moved on to removing the metal clips that hold the 2 parts of the box together.
Sadly I forgot to take pictures until the box was split open on the table :

This box contains 2 flaps with foamgaskets on them, that direct the air inside the box and out to the seperate wents, in the footwells and on top of the dash by the windscreen.
The flaps are stille mounted in the 2 halfs of the box shown above.

This is the lower flap, with the old foamgasket that had almost completly deteriorated. The foam was Falling apart and the leftovers was just a sticky/oily mess...

Cleaned it up, removed the old glue and cut some new foam to size - it need to be bigger than the surface of the flap to seal aorund the edge when mounted in the box:

Same story with the flap for the windscreen area - the old one with the crumbly foam:

Taken apart, cleaned - new foam cut out and mounted between the two halfes. These just click together and "sandwich" the foam between them, therefore no glue is needed on this one.

Next up was cleaning the wiring - this was actually in really good condition underneath the dirt:

I did not take the blower apart - I was decided that it was safer to use compressed air and blow it out. And then clean it up outside.
Turned out pretty good afterall ...

This is one half of the heaterbox after a good clean - old coolant had leaked in here, and 30+ years of just had been blown in and collected in the corners.

Now it as clean as when it was new Again:

Now the parts where all ready to put back together. I will just need to find som new foam gaskets, for the top surface that contacts with the body of the car. But only need it when it is going back into the car again at some point.

It is really hard to take a good picture of the overall structure put back together, but this is my results:

I hope you enjoyed :)

:thumbup::beer::sly:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
This thread always gives me motivation to work on the little things on mine haha. The big task I don't feel like tackling is dropping and replacing the fuel tank. One of my pressure relief lines are clogged and the tank collapsed on itself in 2014. I bumped the tank back out and all is well, but it has always driven me nuts since then lol.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
Time for another update of the marathon rebuild! :)

I'm still awaiting warmer weather, the last week has been really strange for springtime here. We had rain, hail, snow, wind, sunshine and a little bit of everything else... But the last days have been good! Hope it lasts ...

But while waiting for warmer weather, I finished some more of my Loose ends. As the driverside of the car, where I was'nt happy with the previous Work done. Decided on cutting it up, to remove the nasty and bumpy overlap.

Same thing where the rear arch connect - Not sure what I thougt off when I did this the first time?? :screwy:

Removed the overlapping material, and welded everything back together - much better result! :thumbup:

....and alot smoother!

Also on the inside...

Almost done - Just need primer and some filler ...

Sanded the rest of the enginebay - What a PITA! :facepalm:

And finally the parts collected for the car since last update:

Original Hagus chrome flagmirror. Used but OK condition - and less than 5$ on the swapmeet.

A black vacuumball indstead of the bright green one usually found in the enginebays...

And finally a nice set of red Fifft taillights:

Only problem is that the guy who sold them too me, did'nt now how to pack them up to withstand the mailservice handling - which resulted in a cracked lens when the package arrived :mad: :banghead: :bs:

301 - 320 of 341 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.