VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
321 - 340 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #322 ·
Subscribed... amazing build thread :D or may I say multiple build thread :laugh::laugh:

Great work !!! Greetings from Mexico :cool::thumbup:
Thank you! - Always nice with greetings from around the world :thumbup:

Since last time i continued epoxy in the enginebay:

Then I got fed up with the way the was placed in the garage, and decided I needed it to be more mobile. The solution was building some supports with wheels on. Gathered some scrap and fabricated this...

Which made it possible to pull the car of the jackstands, out on the floor, and turn it around. I now have a little more clearance under the car, better light in the enginebay and better access! :peace:

Now I need to get back to more epoxy in the bay too finish that off!

:):beer::thumbup:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dang! The more I read, the more I learn about how much I need to learn :eek: It's still very helpful and motivating to read though.

Keep up the great work man! :beer::beer:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #325 ·
Thanks for the kind words ...!

The reason for TIG welding the tankstraps is that I made them from stainless steel, with the hope that they would be able to last a long long time. I used stainless steel welding wire, and Argon shielding gas to keep the welds from rusting.

The MIG welder I use, is only fitted with standard MIG wire, and Aligal (CO2 mix) shielding gas.

Different welders, for different jobs :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #326 ·
Time to blow the dust off this, with a new update and page 14 ...

I'm still working on the enginebay ...

I also got the entire front end stripped inside and out

Only small areas of surface rust on the frontpanel, but all gone now:

I also spend some boring hours cleaning and sanding the raintray area ...

Also found another little cool piece that i had to buy for my puzzle - A Hartmann motorsport valve cover in good condition, and I got it for a fair price! :thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #328 · (Edited)
Found out I still needed some holes to mount the front plastic wheelhouse guards - I therefore dug out the old guards to hold them up against the car.
Only problem was that they where dirty as fück! I did not want them up against my clean white epoxyprimer!

Someone did not hold back on the rustprotection! - but atleast the plastic had not rusted :laugh:

A full dustpan later the first one was scraped clean on both sides ...

Then time for petroleum and old rags to remove the greasy rustprotection leftovers ...

Then do a mock-up with the frontfender before bringing the wheelhouse guard into position:

Then mark out the places where the hole is missing - alot of work for that, but atleast the guards are ready for later!

I have also started prepping the hinge area and panels for epoxy, for added protection and to get rid of the cheap black primer sprayed on the new repair body panels.

Cleaned up some welds ...

Shaped this area to look more original

Also managed to get two layers of epoxy on the raintray area ...

As a little side project I also dug a fan shroud from the pile of parts - took the best one, and started to clean that up. Not the one shown here, but same size and shape:

Time for wirebrush and anglegrinder action! - I wanted a more shaved and clean look, so I decided to cut off some of the flanges/corners that don't have any use anyway. This also makes it possible to remove the fan shroud without taking the waterhoses off the radiator first.

The chopped version:

This little "hump" on the top edge is only needed on cars with the oldstyle radiator mount - therefore I removed that too:

Wanted to add a little special detail, and decided that a embossed VW logo on the top could make it look different - here the result before the final clean-up of the welds

The nerdy Vwvortex reader will know/guess that the VW logo is cut from a old throw out bearing cover ... :)

One it is painted, the fan shroud will go on my radiator with overflow tank

I have also prepared new screws and washers in stainless steel

:thumbup:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Since last update, I got the right panel and hinge area covered in epoxy primer instead of the horrible black primer found on the repair panels.

Sanding done - primer on - filler needed :banghead:

As another little side project for the Golf, I have being working on a bracket to relocate the washer bottle to the raintray area. The bottle I plan on using is from a Golf 2, normally fitted in the trunk for the rear screen. The size and volume (1,6 liter) is OK for the area I want to put it.
This is the first mock up, with my NOS raintray cover also in place.

On some of the days where I did not have that much time, I did some smaller jobs such as cleaning and assessing the condition of some of the original parts taken of the car.
For instance most of the parts of the gearshift mechanism. I'm thinking of swapping to 5-speed, but i'm not completly sure which parts I need for the swap?
But atleast the parts are nicer to handle after a good clean:

Got this put together from all the best looking parts I had in my boxes - only the housing has been painted to protect it against the elements. Just needs to re-grease the bushings:

Everything covered in thick sticky rust protection - I'm thinking of getting them stripped, and recovered in yellow zinc plating. All bushings will be replaced.

Without rust protection:

More before and after:

I also dug out my original drumbrake backplates. I have actually called them dead several times when looking at them, and decided that I needed to order some new ones. But despite this I gave them a second chance, and scraped all the loose dirt of them. Inside and outside looking really bad...

Then into the sandblaster - actually they are not that bad now! :thumbup:

Then next step - a bucket with boiling water and citric acid, and in they go:

Left them soaking for almost 72 hours, to get this result after a quick wirebrushing:

The surface is well pitted in some areas, but the rust seams to have gone away - next step is epoxyprimer and paint, and then I think they will be usefull again!

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #330 ·
Blowing the dust of this thread again with another update ...

Moved on too the driverside, cleaning up the repaired areas similar to the way I did the passenger side above. Sanding and epoxy primer going on.
I noticed that the hole for the door-stopper was worn to an oval-shape. I welded some material back in, and reshaped the hole to make a tight fit for the lockpin.

Moving on to bare metal ...

Moving further back, and dressing some welds on the rear arch:

Front end covered back up, in epoxy:

Also cleaned up the inner area of the floor that was repaired long time ago...

On to the rear end, heading for the same treatment:

Both sides - including gasfiller area that was also replaced:

Lower half cleaned up - the upper half is warped and needs some more work before epoxy:

In my on-going hunt for parts for the car, my latest addition too the collection is this Recaro seat that happens to be exactly the same as two others I have in storage. The two of them are taken apart, and one of them need some foam - but now I have something too build them back up after. My hope was to recover the centerpart, too match my original rearseat.

:)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #332 ·
Thanks for your kind words! - The build have taken so many years, that it is ridiculous - but I really want to be able to put it back together soon!

·
Registered
22 Posts
What cream are you using? Or a color code to it?

Respraying my cabby the original metallic gray, and think this wiuld look good in the bay!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #336 ·
I had almost given up on this thread - not the build of the car! :)

Since Photosuck'it changed there hotlink policy, and destroyed posts on every forum online, I haven't been able to view my own pictures here - and I guess anyone else has the same problem. I just learned that there is extensions too Google Chrome that can fix this problem! Now I can see everything again! :thumbup:

Is anyone still reading here on Vwvortex, and interestet in updates?

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
I had almost given up on this thread - not the build of the car! :)

Since Photosuck'it changed there hotlink policy, and destroyed posts on every forum online, I haven't been able to view my own pictures here - and I guess anyone else has the same problem. I just learned that there is extensions too Google Chrome that can fix this problem! Now I can see everything again! :thumbup:

Is anyone still reading here on Vwvortex, and interestet in updates?
1. It is amazing that this extension exists. I downloaded it and the forums came back to life!
2. Yes, I am interested in updates!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #338 ·
Thanks for the support! I must get my ass in gear and start doing something on the Golf again.

I cant believe where the last many month have gone - I haven't really made anything on the Golf because of friends and family with cars needing attention. I had problems with my daily driver and ended up with buying another one from a neighbour. Still Audi A4 B5 but this time Avant. Just finished swapping my 1,8T engine into this car, and getting it ready for inspection.

The garage is a mess with Audi parts everywhere, but now I want to get back on the Golf project!

I will get some pictures uploaded soon then ...

·
Registered
7,817 Posts
Joe, does each picture have to be brought back individually one by one?
Eric, once you load this extension into your Chrome browser, every thread just plain WORKS. Your threads, my threads, all threads with Photobucket photo links.

No threads to update, no photos to relink.

That said, it only works for the person who downloads the extension to your browser. Everyone else reading this has to do the same.

But it works, b*tches!

321 - 340 of 341 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.