VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 341 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Re: (Salmiak)

All of the cleaning allows you to find any possible hidden rust, so it's def. a good thing to do now before you start the process of bodywork. Looks good so far and I'm jealous that you found such a nice car! Keep the pics and updates coming and I'm adding this to my watch list!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The last 2 weekends both included visits at local swapmeets - Did not find much "gold", but quite happy with my findings anyway.
Yesterday i got these small thing for almost nothing http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif :
Dash frame with chrome edge:

Old but in great shape - original Golf badge in metal

Oil cap - believe it is from a Bug? :

After a little cleaning and polishing:

Makes a difference:

That makes a collection of 2 different caps:

The weekend before that i only came home with this:
German sales brochure from 1983 (Same as my car):

The other is a user manual printed 1975.
The last thing where these stickers:

Modified by Enur at 5:08 PM 10-8-2007

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: (Enur)

No progress here since last update really ....

The really good news is that me and 2 to friends have found a place to rent where we can store and work on our cars! If all goes well, we move in with cars and tools, and so on in the beginning of next month! We are really looking forward to that http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Hopefully the work on the car will speed up ...

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re:

I dont think anybody really missed me - but here is and update! Its been a long time since the last - i know!
Have been really busy with my education (VW/Audi Mechanic). School and final tests are done, and soon i get the papers to prove it! http://****************.com/smile/emgift.gif
Besides that the great thing is that my 2 friends and i have worked on getting our new rented garage ready to be used. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
As it looked when we started:

First thing was to put some filler on some spots and start priming the walls before painting (Thats me in the Kawasaki jacket):

My friends both dumped there cars as none of them where ready for the streets (Golf had the licence plates taken by the police and the Rocco with broken transmission)

Outside the place with my dailydriver in front ...

Last weekend we made great progress - The boys out in the cold and ready to work after eating danish pastry:

Found a new friend ... The lowered dog

Tobias fooling around while painting and having beer

Modified by Enur at 1:18 AM 3-21-2008

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Re: Re: (Enur)

gode greier enur!
when are planning to finish the new gerage and go back to work on the rabbit???!!!
if you are interessted i have a valvecover (nice chrome) for the engine that fits the stock and the dx engine just im me for pics...
good work on the engine bay keep it up! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Re: Re: (otti)

Quote, originally posted by otti »
gode greier enur!
when are planning to finish the new gerage and go back to work on the rabbit???!!!

Vielen dank!
Were have put alot of work into the garage here in the easter holiday - and hopefully we are soon finish. After that the Golf will be moved to the garage and the work will start. My friend with the Scirocco is also looking forward to a large rebuild, with dream of mounting a 1.8 20V engine and maybe Audi TT dash. Will be exiciting to see what we end up with in the future

Btw - Thanks for offer on buying you valvecover - but i plan on using this one i did myself:

Modified by Enur at 12:51 PM 3-22-2008

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Re: Re: (Enur)

Today was a good day - The Golf finally found way to the garage after a long time outside my house! This should give me a better chance to take it apart and start the real work with the car http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I planned the transport yesterday - Therefore i whent out early this morning to get the car washed and ready.
Here it is after the wash

Just a little later a friend came and we got the car on to the trailer before heading off to the garage:

It is only a 15 minute drive but the Golf was not ready to do it under its own power..
We arrived and got the car unloaded and positioned in the garage:

Thanks to Asmussen who transported the car!

I hope to get the work started soon - I will update again when i get to work!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Re: Re: (Gtretro)

Quote, originally posted by Gtretro »

Are we gona see the mark 1 in schafflund this year.

Haha ... Nope - I don't think that will happen!
There is a lot of work before it is ready for Schafflund i believe...
I guess the Audi will drive me to Schafflund again- (Fourth time then ..)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Re: Re: (JcD20vt)

Quote, originally posted by JcD20vt »
lets have a look under the hood again with all the new painted stuff you did...

All the new painted stuff is lying safely in my small workshop here at home - Car is far from ready to mount the parts in!

You see the reason here ...
Latest update from the garage ...

Since my last post here I have started to slowly take some parts of the car.
Started on the front of the car - My plan is to get the engine out in the near future.

Continued with taking of the front fenders ..

I'm really happy with the way things look in here
Very little rust and mostly surface. Looks good for a 25 year old car. The fenders had never been taken of the car I think

It was tricky getting the fenders of as they where heavily covered in thick seam-sealer which covered the bolts and glued the fenders on to the body.
Fender have rust in bottom corners and on the arches - Will probably be replaced.

I have also pulled some parts from the engine bay - trying to prepare for taking out the engine and gearbox.

This car has really been sprayed with rust protection - The wiring harness to the headlights was covered in the sticky black stuff

While I worked on the Golf my friend came in to change a gearbox in his Golf 3 ..

And the reason why it needed to be changed - A blown differential made two holes in the gearbox house

Later I had to try to remove some of the old rust protection from the wheel wells . This had dried out and almost looked like asphalt. The layer was around 5 mm. thick

Because it had dried up it chipped of pretty easy:

It did not take that long to come to this point:

Because the was no rust left I did not want to go in to the factory sealer. I think the dry layer of rust protection will be removed and later a new layer will be applied.
I think this is the current status ... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by Enur at 7:51 PM 5-26-2008

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Re: 83' Golf LX Resto-Project with pics! (Enur)

New update 8 June ...

Last Sunday me and my friend got up early to go to the Auto Scrapper. This place is kind of special as they have a lot of used body parts for older cars form the 60's and 70's. A lot of parts for old Opels, Fords and so on.
We did not find that much we could use but it is so great to see all these old parts.

One of the rooms - Full of lamps, windscreens-wipers, mirrors and so on...

Upstairs doors, bonnets and other body parts are piled up ..

I bought every chrome door handle I could find - Mostly 70's Passat and Audi doorhandles.

They look rough but they polish up really well and I got them cheap

Back in our garage I have worked on the Golf .. Continued to remove rust protection.
I did know that my panels under the doors where bad and rusty on both sides of the car, but on the drivers side it had spread to the floor pan.

Cleaned of, marked and cut this out ..

Creating this hole...

Also had to cut out a part of the inner panel ..

Fabbed up this plate to repair that ...

And a part for the floor ...

... Looking like this from the bottom

A little trimming is needed before I start welding..

Also used a little time on polishing this water tube for the cylinder head ..

The engine starts to look really naked .. Only missing a few things before the engine can come out of the car.

The progress this weekend has been a bit slow - as it has been really hot here. It was much better to sit down a have a cold beer rather than working

More updates soon ..

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: (planrforrobert)

2 more of my engine parts got refreshed last weekend ... I did not use that much time in the garage last weekend because of Le Mans. (GO Tom Kristensen and Audi!
)
I hope to go to the garage this weekend to do more work.
Last weekends result:
1. polished and primered fuel pump...

Fuel pump with first coat of paint .. I really like the beige paint together with the polished aluminium http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

And 1 clean and more glossy oilfilter console ...

21 - 40 of 341 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.