VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
83 GTI, 04 R32, 04 R32
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, this may sound crazy. Stock brake system '83 GTI car drives fine forward but in reverse or even just rolling backwards after about four to six feet the rear brakes will lock up. Go forward again and no resistance. I jacked up the rear end and the wheels spin easily in both directions. Parking brake seems fine and is not hanging up. Any ideas?

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
614 Posts
Drum or disk brakes in the rear? It sounds like you've got something loose in the rear braking system.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Factory drums, I'm gonna pull them and take a look. Thanks.
It sounds like your rear drums are locking up, typically when this happens is because one of the springs inside the drum probably rusted and broke off.
What I would do is simply just jack up the car and take the wheels off and remove both drum covers and inspect the drums to see if any of the springs are broken, which more than likely is the case if they are just simply buy a drum brake kit and replace all the springs and pads and probably the wheel cylinder while you're at it and that should solve the problem. I hope that helps 👍🏁🏆

·
Registered
83 GTI, 04 R32, 04 R32
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It sounds like your rear drums are locking up, typically when this happens is because one of the springs inside the drum probably rusted and broke off.
What I would do is simply just jack up the car and take the wheels off and remove both drum covers and inspect the drums to see if any of the springs are broken, which more than likely is the case if they are just simply buy a drum brake kit and replace all the springs and pads and probably the wheel cylinder while you're at it and that should solve the problem. I hope that helps 👍🏁🏆
Sounds reasonable, gonna check it out thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts