VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Parcel Shelf Update:

Efforts to correct my rear parcel shelf that has two 4" diameter holes through it are taking longer than expected. I was able to sourced a solid shelf and prep it for replacement fabric but have been unsuccessful in sourcing proper replacement fabric.

In February 2021, while working with an upholsterer, I thought we had a match. Turns out his sample board was outdated and the material no longer available.

In March 2021, I reached out to SMS and asked for some samples. Based on photos, they ended up sending me three, each better than the next. Their Sample C was near perfect (color, material, thickness, backing, etc.). I placed an order the next day.

I don't recall how much time elapsed but it was longer than you'd expect and I when I received the actual material, it was completely different than the Sample C. Hmm...so I called, explained the mishap and asked that they send me the correct material. A few days later I received a message that the material had gone missing and they'd let me know when it was found.

Well, weeks turned into months and in July 2021, they asked that I send them an original sample so they could try and match it...Sample C material was nowhere to be found.

In September 2021, I received a new sample that's reasonably close to the original material. It was explained that they could dye the sample material to match the original material color...so that's how we're proceeding. I expect it will be awhile before I see this material.

Photos: Sample C vs. new sample, Sample C closeup, Sample C next to original (nearly identical), new sample closeup and new sample next to original (will be dyed to match color)

Handwriting Font Material property Paper Parallel
Rectangle Font Asphalt Electric blue Pattern
Hand Sleeve Gesture Finger Nail
Rectangle Grey Font Tints and shades Asphalt
Hand Outerwear Shoe Sleeve Gesture

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please ignore this, I'm new to the forum and trying to get my post count up so I can get access to the classifieds. Apparently, you need ten days and ten posts before you can message anyone. I'm interested in the MK1 GTI's for sale in southern WI if anyone can connect me to the owner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Please ignore this, I'm new to the forum and trying to get my post count up so I can get access to the classifieds. Apparently you need ten days and ten posts before you can message anyone. I'm interested in the MK1 GTI's for sale in southern WI if anyone can connect me to the owner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Unable to source a midnight blue seatbelt receiver and adjustment knob for my drivers seat, I ended up purchasing a grey seatbelt receiver and red adjustment knob...with the intentions of dying them per input from @ToddA1 SEM thread. Items purchased from SEM were soap, prep, adhesion promoter and dye.

Plumbing fixture Household hardware Gas Plumbing Nickel
Hair Liquid Bottle Cosmetics Fluid

For the seatbelt receiver, I ended up taping off and depressing the 'press' button to expose most of the receiver housing hidden when the button is released. The attached photos show the dyed receiver vs. my original passenger seat receiver...very happy with results.

Product Blue Azure Jersey Textile
Product Textile Rectangle Yellow Headgear
Product Textile Sleeve Webbing Rectangle
Glasses Rectangle Yellow Wood Eyewear
Product Textile Bag Material property Waist

For the adjustment knob, I ended up dying both sides...although I was less concerned with the interior results. The attached photos show the dyed knob vs. my original damaged knob.

Automotive tire Plant Asphalt Wood Road surface
Azure Ball Sports equipment Electric blue Audio equipment

Being very critical, the dyed pieces are a little lighter than the original pieces...but still look great and the finish is identical.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Chair Vehicle Personal luxury car

Thanks to those who put the legwork in to make this effort more straight forward.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Nice! Glad to see someone else finally ordered the blue. What sheen did you get?

Did you test the plastic to see if you needed “sand free” or the standard stuff?

How critical are you being, when you say it’s lighter? 2” away, lol? Looks perfect from here...

I think I sent Vinyl Pro four colors… I should have all of them tagged with, ToddA1!

-Todd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Nice! Glad to see someone else finally ordered the blue. What sheen did you get?

Did you test the plastic to see if you needed “sand free” or the standard stuff?

How critical are you being, when you say it’s lighter? 2” away, lol? Looks perfect from here...

I think I sent Vinyl Pro four colors… I should have all of them tagged with, ToddA1!

-Todd
I remember talking sheen with the representative...but not ordering anything outside what they'd consider standard. The sheen seems similar to semi-gloss.

I did test the plastic with acetone and it smeared...so I went with the sand free adhesion promoter.

Thanks for putting in the color legwork and for performing the initial spray test...definitely helped convince me to go this route.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Fuel Leak Update: Decided I'm going to remove my fuel tank and take steps toward repairing or replacing it. Progress so far includes disconnecting fuel pump, disconnecting rear brake hoses, disconnecting rear axle mounts and lowering rear axle.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Tread
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Bumper Automotive exterior

The patient will remain suspended until the surgery is completed.

Automotive tire Automotive design Wood Grey Floor

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
I had a look yesterday and Rock Auto still has the Spectra VW4B for a fairly reasonable $117. I'm not sure that you'll find it under $100 anywhere now, and the previous time I looked most were closer to $200.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I had a look yesterday and Rock Auto still has the Spectra VW4B for a fairly reasonable $117. I'm not sure that you'll find it under $100 anywhere now, and the previous time I looked most were closer to $200.
Thanks for the information.

Is the Spectra Premium VW4B the tank to go with? Good quality, matching connection points, etc.?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
The VW4B has something akin to a swirl pot to alleviate fuel starvation, not all do and it's hard to nail down which ones do or don't. There were early reports of some of the barbs being oversized but I think this might have been corrected. The shop that did my swap didn't indicate that there was any issue. Can't argue with the price point.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Fuel tank is out. Still a mystery why it was weeping fuel at the return connection. I have to believe the new return hose and clamp I installed would have remedied any issues with the original hose.

A few photos of tank removed:

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
White Light Road surface Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Closeup of front right corner of tank at return connection: (note cleanliness of corner from fuel seepage…maybe I’ll pick up a dye pen kit and test the area?)

Grey Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design Auto part
Fish Wood Metal Concrete Fin
Grey Hood Rim Insect Arthropod

And a few photos of fuel tank shield:

Wood Road surface Rectangle Asphalt Beige
Brown Wood Rectangle Font Road surface

Current plan is to order up a replacement fuel tank, accumulator, fuel lines (at pump and accumulator) and filler hose.

Although my fuel tank straps and shield look crusty, they’re still in good shape. I’ll likely replace the straps but would seriously consider re-plating the shield if I can locate an outfit that’s willing (and not too expensive).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Flashback Friday:

Figured I’d share a few old pics of my first car - 1980 Rabbit Diesel C

Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Wheel
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Motor vehicle

And I hope all find equal humor in the use of a Passport radar detector…cause it wasn’t like I was going that fast!

Car Land vehicle Tire Plant Vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Speedometer Vehicle Gauge

Must be circa 1987/1988. Sold the car to a buddy in 1989 for $300. That was dumb.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Floor Mats Update: Quick update on the mats. Effort to reproduce the original mats and transfer over the original (driver front) heel pad is complete. Was is worth the effort...debatable. Happy now that it's done...definitely.

Given material of heel pad and existing holes...pad had to be hand stitched to replacement carpet. Given thickness of carpet and backing...piping had to be hand (upholstery) stitched for proper attachment.
Rectangle Grey Font Electric blue Metal
Wood Automotive tire Bicycle tire Road surface Gas

Couple photos of old vs. new and the money shot (LOL).
Jeans Rectangle Azure Textile Wood
Rectangle Sleeve Wood Grey Font
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Bumper

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Fuel Tank Update: Found an outfit that would yellow zinc my fuel tank shield...here's the progression.

Grey Wood Art Sculpture Snout

Rectangle Grey Wood Automotive exterior Art

Insect Arthropod Terrestrial plant Locust Creative arts

Lesson learned: It came out pretty damn good...but...if you want it perfect, you need to make sure the surface finished is prepped super smooth. @ToddA1 thanks for the input!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
Fuel Tank Update: Replacement tank was prepped...new foam, transferred over the sender, cleaned and transferred over some misc. bits and wrapped her in swaddling clothes.

Automotive exterior Road surface Gas Asphalt Concrete

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle

Took a little fiddling to get the tank up and in where the straps would reach the securing studs...but she's in.

Automotive tire Hood Blue Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Gas Automotive design

Waiting on two replacement fuel lines associated with the accumulator to complete the effort...and then hopefully revive the patient.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Meh… yellow chromate is overrated, lol.

I thought about this pic today and was going to send it to you… too late. I pulled it out of photo bucket recently and they cropped it a bit. I don’t have the original, any longer.
Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic Engineering

I like the new pic format!

-Todd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
My fuel tank heat shield is off the car and in similar shape as yours was. I appreciate the effort on your end, but I might just use high temp exhaust manifold paint
I had thought similar. Challenge for me would have been prep and finding a weather window to do the painting. I could have sourced it out, but guessing cost would have been no less than plating. If I went the paint route, the shield would have been black and straps stainless steel.

If I want the true factory look, I now need to haphazardly spray portions of the shield and tank with black undercoating! Think I'll hold off on that step.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts