VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Fuel tank update:

Slow and steady progress. I ran into a fit issue with the filler neck to tank hose and then a shrinkage issue with my return line from top of filler neck to top of tank. All seems to be corrected at this point.

Nothing sexy about these photos but I’m happy the effort is completed. Now I can reconnect the rear beam, brake lines, get the accumulator and fuel pump back in…and see if she fires up.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Alloy wheel

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wood Gas

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Fuel Tank Update:

Tank install is complete...took me 3+ months but who's counting. Installed a new accumulator and spruced up the fuel pump assembly to complement the effort. Took her for a short spin this evening and...so far so good.

Vehicle White Hood Automotive tire Light

Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive exhaust Auto part Gas

Tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Needed to bleed the brakes before getting back on the road...umm, will plan to do it again until it looks like brake fluid!

Liquid Drinkware Tableware Solution Ingredient

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Mileage Note:

September 2020 - purchased car and noted mileage as 87,912

November 2020 - had fixed some coolant issues and noted mileage as 88,005

June 2021 - had replaced the transmission and noted mileage as 88,250

May 2022 - recently replaced fuel tank and noted mileage as 88,776

So, seeing that the transmission came with a 2 year or 24,000 mile warranty, whichever comes first, I need to spend less time restoring and more time cruising.

Gauge Odometer Speedometer Vehicle Measuring instrument

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Parcel Shelf Update:

Finally received the parcel shelf replacement fabric I had originally ordered in April 2021...and then re-ordered in September 2021. Plan is to cover a replacement solid parcel shelf and my original speaker shelves with the replacement fabric. Will be making an effort to match all original details...including elastic extensions and semi-tubular rivets.

Hood Light Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Food for thought:

Was reading through another thread where the OP had shown installation of a new clutch pressure plate with existing bolts. Someone had commented, hinting maybe that wasn't a good idea...and others had chimed in saying it should be fine. The uncertainty took me to Bentley, which says to clean and dry all six pressure plate assembly mounting bolts and all six holes in the crankshaft flange.

It goes on to highlight the need to coat the bolt threads with Loctite, install and then torque. The torque value noted for bolts with shoulders is 72 ft-lbs.

The bolts are M10 (0.394 in)
The grade is 12.9
Proof strength - 140.7 ksi
Min. yield strength - 159.5 ksi
Min. tensile strength - 176.9 ksi

The Machinery Handbook notes the recommended preload (Fi) can be determined from: Fi = 0.75 x At x Sp for reusable connections, and Fi = 0.9 x At x Sp for permanent connections. In these formulas, Fi is the bolt preload, At is the tensile stress area of the bolt, and Sp is the proof strength of the bolt.

It also notes that if measuring bolt elongation is not possible, the torque necessary to tighten the bolt must be estimated. And if the recommended preload is known, use the following general relation for the torque: T = K x Fi x d, where T is the wrench torque, K is a constant that depends on the bolt material and size, Fi is the preload, and d is the nominal bolt diameter.

Because K depends on the bolt diameter and size (and finish) it's kind of the wildcard. Best suggestion from the Machinery Handbook is to use K = 0.3 for non-plated black finish bolts.

So if we assume these bolts are reusable then Fi = 0.75 x 0.0899 in^2 x 140.7 ksi = 9.49 kips
and T = 0.3 x 9.49 kips x 1000 lbs/kip x 0.394 in x ft/12 in = 93 ft-lbs

With Bentley recommending 72 ft-lbs it seems this case falls within the 'reusable' criteria.

However, if you (or the prior installer) were to use a plated bolts or lubricated bolts, K could easily drop to 0.18 and the corresponding wrench torque would decrease accordingly to 56 ft-lbs. Introducing 72 ft-lbs (recommended torque) in this instance would achieve a preload that's 28% more than intended, which would take you out of the 'reusable' criteria.

My takeaway on this connection...if you don't know the history then play it safe and replace the bolts.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts