VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, this is my first Mk1, first GTI, and first -real- project, so please be a little easy on me.

A little backstory: I actually bought this car a lil over a year ago out of the classifieds but am just now getting the motivation to get started on it. Anything older than a Mk3 is very hard to find around here so I jumped at the chance when saw this one for sale.
It's a partially stripped GTI with a 1.8 16v out of a 88 GLI swapped in. Transmission has a stage 3 Spec clutch and a Peloquin bolt kit. Last 2 owners could never get it to run right after the swap so I figured I'd give it a shot.
My plans are an eventual full teardown rebuild with mostly stripped and slightly custom interior, outside its going to stay pretty much OEM+ style (Westys are staying of course), attempt to get this swap running while getting the 2.0 16v in sitting in my backyard ready for a Megasquirt setup. Oh, full CE2 swap as well. Basically swap in all the good bits from a 90 GLI I stripped a year ago.
Anyways! Blah blah blah.... Pics!

Sorry for the crappy cell pics, these are right after I got it.

A bit of a rats nest

Only GTI bit I really have from it. Sourcing a air dam now.

Recent pic. My Jetta peeking in

Teardown begins!

To be continued...

Modified by Spazmatic2000 at 2:33 AM 3-25-2010

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: '84 GTI Florida budget build (Spazmatic2000)

Oh I forgot to say yes this is a budget build, trying to keep the outlay as low as possible. Its not gonna be a show winner, but I won't at least be embarrassed to be seen driving it.
AND this entire build will probably be done outdoors, and by myself. Don't have any friends that are in to cars like I am, but I'll see what I can do for helpers.
Progress!

Rust exploration, so far so good! very minimal surface rust.

Pics make this rust look worse than it is. most of this can be wiped/vacuumed up

Seat rail surface rust was the worst, everything else looks great!

Only perforation I've fore on body so far. under hatch.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: '84 GTI Florida budget build (Spazmatic2000)

Tough crowd eh? More progress pics.
Gas tank replacement time

Rust exploration is in order here...

Underneath looks pretty decent though

Out with the old...

This is after a couple shakes of the old tank. Gee wonder why it was clogged

undercoated new tank

More tmrw!

·
Registered
24,992 Posts
Re: '84 GTI Florida budget build (8382)

Quote, originally posted by 8382 »
Keep going - bring that GTI back to life

this!
do it man

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (justin_6649)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Quote, originally posted by MarkTwo »
Good stuff. Any paint going on it? My vote is for the original white.

Yes definitely going to be Cashmere White again. I hate the spray bomb. So much of it too! If you look closely at the c-pillar you can see my attempt to cut through the 4 or so layers.
Gonna strip it to bare metal and start fresh.
Quote, originally posted by justin_6649 »
whered you get your new tank from?

Was $149 shipped I believe from http://discountgastanks.com. I used duplicolor spray undercoating basically for aesthetics and maybe a lil extra protection. Its recommended by me and by others in a few threads on here.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (-teknien-)

Quote, originally posted by -teknien- »
are you putting the gti interior back in?

Thats something I'm still not sure of yet. At first I was just going to clean up the OG pieces I had and try to custom dye them in a black/grey theme to match the perfect 16v Mk2 dash I have (its in that pile of interior bits) and my new seats. I figured everything was trashed already so why not?
Then I got bored and decided to do some interior cleaning and was a bit surprised.
Before:

After just a soapy water scrub:

Except for the chrome strip coming off, these things look brand new
. I can't bring myself to dye them, and now I'm really starting to dig the blue scheme. The carpet can be cleaned up similarly. The rear cards, on the other hand, are crap. Water stained, faded, and warped.
The seats are shot though. Both of them are torn and worn, and the bases are rusted badly and unsalvageable. Luckily, I have these sitting around from the GLI I stripped...

Yes, the shed is messy, its not mine. That OG Karmann Ghia rack however is mine and will be sold to help fund this. And the Porsche 7-slots in the big box too probably. Wouldn't look right on a GTI. I do have some other wheels that might be going on though. More on those later.

·
Registered
10,908 Posts
i would salvage as much of the interior as possible and rock it... you can find the rear cards, most of them are faded in way or another. your best bet is getting a fairly streight set and dyeing them to match as close as possible to the gti interior color.
check out my build thread, we are in a similar situation saving an otherwise junk GTI.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4272885

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (-teknien-)

Haha yeah, combine our cars together and you would get a decent little car. That rust is nasty, but at least you can drive it. Keep up the good work! Your GFs brothers car looks like a sweet project too!
I think thats what I'm leaning towards, seeing if i can save the rears I have, but I can be a bit of a perfectionist and if I can't get the rears to match close to perfect I think its gonna bother me. Oh well I have time to think, interior is gonna be one of the last things I work on.
What I really want to source now is my missing front bumper and brackets and the rear trim stuff. I have a air dam sitting right beside me, slowly piecing the GTI stuff back together.

Modified by Spazmatic2000 at 2:30 PM 3-26-2010

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Spazmatic2000)

Big update plans wise.
So up there I pointed at a spot that I said needed some rust exploration. Yeah... about that....
I new this was here when i bought it but apparently forgot since then.

Isn't bondo wonderful? haha

New plan: Stripped down full resto has been moved up and begins now. Picking up wood this weekend to start on a tipissorie and searching for a rear valence to cut up. Really wanna check under the fenders too just in case.
Now I get to try out my new welder!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts