VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 84 and suddenly when shifting to 3rd there was no more drive. I was just coasting along and heard a few crunching sounds. When it rolled to a stop I tried all the gears and there was no drive and a few crunches and grinds, but mostly silence. The clutch action felt normal. I pushed it home and as it was rolling there were a few crunching sounds. Got it in the driveway and started it again and no drive in any gear, but an occasional violent clunk as if the gears caught for a second. I shut if off. Went back later and it drove up and down the driveway just fine in all gears. WTF? I though pinion or ring gear failure, but now it works...anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 84 GTI trans symptoms.....help! (Ron P)

I don't think its a CV. When I let the clutch out I can hear gears grinding as if they are just barely engaged. Same in all gears. Linkage and clutch action seem fine. Shift forks inside transmission maybe? SMS ? If one inner CV was trashed, the car would'nt move since it is stock without a limited slip...correct?

Modified by Al at 10:20 AM 5-23-2004

Modified by Al at 10:59 AM 5-23-2004

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 84 GTI trans symptoms.....help! (Ron P)

Good Call Cheapass!!!. I put the video camera under the car and then let the clutch out a little. The left side shaft turns fine and it's the left outer joint that's trashed and making a noise. Thanks!

·
Registered
15,848 Posts
Re: 84 GTI trans symptoms.....help! (Al)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
SMS ?

Self Machining Syndrome.
A rivet head pops off the diff, and commences to get spun around by the diff, chewing the ally case open from the inside out, and usually taking the R&P gear teeth with it.
Also occurs when the one of the big-head retaining rivets above the bevel gear shaft in the diff breaks off, allowing the shaft to slide out, and that shaft beats the case open from the inside out.
Of the 13 I have here on hand, all of them seem to be a small rivet head busting off, and doing the damage. All my SMS cases have the big rivet heads still in place, along with the bevel gear shaft, but I understand the bevel gear shaft can slide out and do the same thing.
Broke

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Re: 84 GTI trans symptoms.....help! (Al)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
Good Call Cheapass!!!.... Thanks!

Glad to help - thanks for the

1 - 6 of 6 Posts