VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my car was taken on a road trip by a relatve who decided not to check the vitals, oil-coolant-trans fluid. Turns out, the car overheated and it looks like the head is cracked. Big mess.
My question, what can I throw into my baby? I see on the vortex and many other places around the net that engines are not at a rarity. This is a catastrophe, and I will not settle for putting the little rabbit to rest.
Please, any help would be appreciate.

Modified by budhaful at 3:21 PM 2-14-2004

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Re: '84 GTI (budhaful)

are you doing it yourself? how experienced are you mechanically? i think the easiest and most painless donor would be an aba 2.0 block with an early head like the one on your car (but not all warped and cracked), that way you can retain the stock fuel injection. the compression would go up so you would have to run high octane and try to find a knock sensor setup, but performance would increase substantially and you would avoid major modification of the wiring and fuel injection.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

with a little pateints you should be able to find parts cheap. check the local message boreds you should be able to find a lot in your area. many people have put 16Vs in rabbits. I'm startin on this project this weekend.
btw nice bunny! I hope mine will look as nice when it's done!

Modified by weeblebiker at 2:57 PM 2-16-2004

·
Registered
6,078 Posts

get a 2.0 aba block from 1800vwparts there great guys. Usually under $500 for the block and get your head reabuilt from a shop and you got a killer engine.
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts