VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
More parts. MK1Engineering steering column bushing/bearing kit came in today. Try to get the steering rack and column assembled this weekend.

Figuring out the last couple fuel line items for an order from Summit Racing. I think I’m going to put the pump in a different location. Again, fighting for space with my original plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
The good news is I’ve got the hard lines in and mounted. The bad news is I kinked the feed line where they pass through the body by the control arm mount. I kinked the return line at the back where it will feed the tank. So now I’ve got a good template of what to build the next time. Just need to order more tubing with my next fitting order.

I pulled the lines back out to put on the AN tubing adapters on to figure out the length for the 90* fittings... I botched that by cutting the left side to low by about an 3/4”. Practice makes perfect I guess.

Meanwhile I have the steering rack tube and boots soaking in some degreaser. Soaked the other parts last night and cleaned them up this morning. Might be able to assemble that tomorrow if the grease is dissolved.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Nice work.
Those
Lines look really good.
Minus the kink.

If it were me I would have spliced in some rubber and moved on.
If I tried to build my car perfectly it would never get out of the garage.

But I have a hard time with indecision.
Working on relocating my battery and can NOT decide on battery cable routing.

So I applaud your skill and dedication sir.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Also cool steering column bushing kit...
Reminded me that when messing with my clutch pedal I saw my hose clamp and loosened and my seteering column bearing had fallen down.

Sad face.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Nice work.
Those
Lines look really good.
Minus the kink.

If it were me I would have spliced in some rubber and moved on.
If I tried to build my car perfectly it would never get out of the garage.

But I have a hard time with indecision.
Working on relocating my battery and can NOT decide on battery cable routing.

So I applaud your skill and dedication sir.
I did consider cutting the line back and simplifying at the tank end, but after the kink towards the front, I’d be more satisfied just redoing it. I’m not in a rush. It’s taken this long, what’s another 2 days til my next summit order arrives, so I added a spool of tubing.

I guess on your pickup the options for battery location are somewhat limited. Locate the battery under the bed? Route the cables up front. Find an E36 BMW at the junk yard. They have long cables from the trunk to the engine bay, and they have a nice jumping junction you can put under the hood.

Thanks. Dedicated? This project has tested me and I’ve tried selling it multiple times. I’m confident this time I will finish. Skilled? I’m just wingin it. I can thank watching builds on YouTube and forums for ideas and just diving in. In the past it was more about the financial dive. I’m in a better place now so I can afford to tinker. My biggest issue was finding the cheapest route and not being satisfied with it so I just sat on the car.

Also cool steering column bushing kit...
Reminded me that when messing with my clutch pedal I saw my hose clamp and loosened and my seteering column bearing had fallen down.

Sad face.
Probably be the last time you’d have to do it.

https://mk1engineering.myshopify.co...cirocco-cabriolet-steering-column-rebuild-kit

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
New hard lines are in.

Soft line are made. Just need to crimp the hose clamps on. I might move the regulator towards the strut tower a couple inches so the hose length might need to be shortened.

I’m gonna but some p-clams to secure the lines as well.

And the last bit. I need a new mounting bracket bent up for the pump and filter. The limited space I have to work with and keeping it in one area is impossible with the bracket I had made. I need a 180* soft line connected by (2) 90* AN fittings. In this photo you can see the 90* pointing right at the bracket. I need that area clear for the hose. Easy fix.

More to come!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
I made an attempt to assemble the steering and failed miserably. My problem was was with the bushing/bearing kit for the column. I screwed the pooch on following directions. I probably destroyed the new needle bearing race that goes at the base of the steering tube. I tore it all apart and got the itch to powdercoat the steering tube. I’ll try 1 more time to reassemble the correct way. If it doesn’t turn free I’ll order a new bearing set. Sunday was pretty frustrating. Pics for clicks of the fresh steering tube.

·
Registered
Serial car rescuer, repeat offender
1,190 Posts
Updates!!!
Yes, please! Interested in what you did wrong with the Mk1Eng column kit, as mine just arrived today.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Yes, please! Interested in what you did wrong with the Mk1Eng column kit, as mine just arrived today.
Im having the same issue as before. When I install the needle bearing at the base of the column tube, and install the metal collar bushing on the main shaft, the tolerance is too tight for the metal collar bushing to just fit it to the needle bearing. If I force it, it collapses the steering shaft, or pushes the plastic bushing out of the lock cylinder bearing. I haven’t really wanted to mess with it and am eager to destroy another bearing/bushing kit out of frustration. Also been burned out after work so that is the other reason for no progress.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 · (Edited)
I should also note that back in May I ended up replacing the steering column and the steering rack. I could never get the original column assembled with new bearings without repeated fitment issues. So I pulled one from the junkyard. Replaced the tie rods, and picked up a new rack from FCPEuro since the original was in pretty bad shape.

New rack, tie rods, and boots

Installed

Fresh boot

Cleaned up junkyard column installed.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 · (Edited)
This is not dead. I have been compiling parts for a while. I’ll get things caught up to the latest.

I ordered a universal aluminum radiator from griffin. I test fit it several times and will require some modifications to fit where I want with the new throttle body setup.

My next purchase was a FuelTech FT450 with smart coils and their wide band nano and 4 cylinder unterminated harness.
Gadget Font Auto part Electronic device Luggage and bags

For Christmas I asked for a motion racewerks smart coil bracket. I had to come up with a mounting solution for it.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive design

Which brings us to today. I spent some time at my buddies shop cutting some metal and drilling some holes. It’s pretty basic j shape flat bar that bolts to the G60 valve cover, then bolts to the bottom of the billet bracket. Not pictured but I did add some supports welded to each side that bolts to the head since the coils have some weight to them. The mounting brackets and billet bracket will get powder coated satin black to finish them off.
Hand tool Tool Metalworking hand tool Wood Font

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

181 - 200 of 201 Posts