VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
I have 95% on the items needed to finish the fuel system. Waiting on 1 filter to arrive . That won’t prevent me from routing everything so hoping this weekend I can make some serious progress. Also bought some velocity stacks for extra brrrraps.

-6 hard line I’ve been waiting on

Brrrraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
nice thread, it's just funny that your build is taking as long as mine is, and we're both exactly at the same point, fueling, what made you decide to go hard line from front to back? racing rules? Also how hard were those camber plates to fit? I was looking at the Ground Control ones.
And this is the 2nd car this engine has been in! So this goes back even farther haha. Stock lines were hard, should have left them alone. I could have easily adapted AN fittings to them. But after filling shopping cart after shopping cart on summitracing.com I kept putting the purchases off because AN hose was like $8-$9 a foot plus fittings. F that. This aluminum tubing was $30 for 25 ft. I’ll say I haven’t really opened a rule book as far as safety/classing goes. I’ve just been building it how I want it. Probably why it’s taken this long. Taken the scenic route. As for camber plates, not hard to install, if I could do it again I wouldn’t run these. I didn’t like cutting the strut tops off. I’d run the camber plates that come with the good coilovers brands. And if you need more camber, look to these as a last ditch option.

:beer:

·
Registered
329 Posts
I initially looked into running hard lines inside the cabin as well but to invest in the tools required (tube straightener, bender, flaring tool and the specific fittings) it would come up the same as running braided lines. my conundrum right now is that I have 80% of the required fitting for braided rubber line, I would've loved to run PTFE lines inside the cabin but that would require me to buy all new fittings, so the savings are gone. plus PTFE does not bend as much, so no tight radiuses.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
Welp 1 step forward 2 steps back... kinda. I had to pull the steering rack to get the fuel lines against the firewall... I have 1 line bent up and in place but it’s a little short so I may bend up another before I make the 2nd one.

I need to rebuild the steering rack. It took me a minute to fully disassemble it. Just gonna order new tie rod assemblies so it’s fresh.

I had a new axle I bought a while back. I thought it was for the passenger side but it ended up being the driver side so I put that in. I still need a passenger side axle so I’ll get one ordered.

I had something come up that I couldn’t pass on...

1991 GLI 16v in Capri Green. It’s an all time favorite for me. It will be a resto-mod project when the GTI is running/driving

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Nice Jetta, the real first vw I fell in love with was a client's MK2 16v GTI big bumpers and all. Lowered just right on deep dish momos.
Love me some mk2. I’ve had 3 GTIs, 1 GLI, 1 Jetta GL. This will be my second GLI and likely a forever car.

On the Rabbit front I ordered a steering column bearing kit from MK1Engineering, Febi tie rod assemblies from Gap, and the passenger side axle from O’Reilly. My back ordered fuel filter arrived from Summit this morning so I can start planning that out. Lots of work to do!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Installed the new passenger side axle. I’m missing the washer for the bearing side and 1 of the bolt carriages on the flange side. Junk yard run needed I suppose.

After that I spent more time mapping out fuel lines, filter location and fittings I’ll need to finish the engine bay. 1 90* swivel, and a couple straight swivel fittings should finalize that. Still need to figure out the fittings I’ll need for the filter and pump. Likely 2 90* swivel fittings and a single 180* swivel there. I need 1.250”, 1.750”, and 2” rubber insulated p-clamps to mount the pump and both filters as well. I’ll probably put the order together by the end of the week.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
I've forgotten how roomy the back of the engine is when there's no turbo in there...
So much room for activities!

Does your passenger-side driveshaft have any play at the gearbox output flange?
No. Why do you ask!? I must know!

These arrived today. I need to find some where that has a parts washer so I can degrease the rack and all it’s guts.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Dollar store turkey pan and gas. I do it all the time and I own a parts washer....

-Todd
I don’t have a gas can. I’ll try the muffler/repair shop next to my work today.

Mine does and I was a little paranoid about it but others have reported the same so I’m curious. Seems to drive fine with no concerning noises.
Is that cause it’s O’reilly brand? Upon install I did notice the joints on the passenger side were pretty stiff. The driver side was a little easier to move.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts