VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.....now here is the question....
Is it worth doing the timing chains while doing the clutch @ 85k miles? I will not be doing the work myself, paying someone to do it.
If I were keeping the car I would wait till the clutch showed more signs of wear than just a slight chatter, but the problem is that I am shipping the car out to my father in the west coast. He knows nothing about cars and is an expert at getting ripped off my mechanics. I kind of want to take care of all the little issues that might come up now.
I was thinking of just chaning the clutch now and holdin off on the chains till like 110k miles. then go on the regional boards on the west coast and asking for a good mechanic online, then telling my dad where to take the car....
julio

·
Registered
23,352 Posts
Re: 85k miles and my clutch is startin to chatter.... (jmvar)

Quote, originally posted by jmvar »
Is it worth doing the timing chains while doing the clutch @ 85k miles? I will not be doing the work myself, paying someone to do it.

While it's ripped apart, it's definitely worth your while to do the tensioner, even if wear is minimal.
You'll be covering a major inspection item early and prolong your motor at the same time.
If you've got the extra few bucks, I would highly recommend it.
Besides, do you really want to open up the motor again for something that you could of fixed eariler?
- Erik

·
Registered
8,134 Posts

You've got to separate the transaxle from the engine to do the Chains/Guides/Tensioners - kind of silly to do this much work twice. Chains/guides/tensioners are a good "while your in there" addition to a clutch job. My $0.02

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 85k miles and my clutch is startin to chatter.... (f1forkvr6)

thanks for the info guys, gonna do it.....

·
Banned
11,719 Posts

good choice, all the labor involved with the chains is getting the tranny out of the way.

·
Super Moderator
16,372 Posts
Re: 85k miles and my clutch is startin to chatter.... (f1forkvr6)

Quote, originally posted by f1forkvr6 »
You've got to separate the transaxle from the engine to do the Chains/Guides/Tensioners - kind of silly to do this much work twice. Chains/guides/tensioners are a good "while your in there" addition to a clutch job. My $0.02

How much more involved to do a headgasket at the same time ? Using a MK4 headgasket is a good thing, no ?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 85k miles and my clutch is startin to chatter.... (Mr King)

bump, wanna know this too, should HG be done at the same time?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

just got quoted $1000 parts and labor for clutch and t-chain service....seems reasonable to me
any thoughts? If I were keeping the car I would do it myself and drive my beater around taking my time but I don't think I will have the drive to do it to a car I know I won't keep........
julio

1 - 9 of 9 Posts