VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1.6 NA Diesel (Hydraulic lifter head) engine code ME out of an 86 Jetta. Rebuilt top end, rubber valve cover gasket, ARP studs. AGS transmission with extra tall 0.71:1 fifth gear added. I'm in the process of wiring up the glow plug circuit with cluster LED, relay, etc.
This is going to be my 55 MPG (what I can get in my A2 Golf) cruiser!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Re: 87 Diesel Cabriolet project (87Cabriolet)

I was considering something like this till I drove an '82 diesel rabbit. That engine was slow as hell!
Probably at least half as fast :/
Other than that diesel http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Re: 87 Diesel Cabriolet project (egranlund)

This is going to be a great build. Take a lot of pics of the swap. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I have always wanted another diesel rabbit...so why not a cabby. Since I drive a TDI daily, I think that a torquey 1.9L TD would suit a cabby just fine. Let me know if you need a turbo for that motor
a friend builds these engines. Good luck!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 87 Diesel Cabriolet project (OverdriveGear)

All of this gasoline wiring will not be used. I have to neatly tuck it away:

I really do not like fixing other people's hack wiring jobs...including the factory.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: 87 Diesel Cabriolet project (ashleyroemk1)

I was thinking about that. I rebuilt this pump myself but didn't mod anything. What kind of gains could I get with a Giles pump? I don't care much for high RPM horsepower or boost (obviously) but some torque improvements would be welcome

·
Registered
3,960 Posts

Quote, originally posted by OverdriveGear »
I was thinking about that. I rebuilt this pump myself but didn't mod anything. What kind of gains could I get with a Giles pump? I don't care much for high RPM horsepower or boost (obviously) but some torque improvements would be welcome

well, exactly how much i can't tell you.
i have yet to dyno the car.
i can tell you i get 60 mpg now.
i'll be sure to let you know when i do dyno it.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts

I really do not like fixing other people's hack wiring jobs...including the factory.

LOL!! I hear you! Re-wiring my '82's bay, right now. No wonder they have grounding issues!
Looking good! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This weekend, I'm going to remove the catalytic converter, cut the flanges off, and weld them to a stainless straight pipe. Also, I'm going to wire in a circuit for the glow plugs and should have the thing started for the first time! Pics to come soon.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Also, if I'm not happy with my home-build IP, then I'm thinking about going to a Giles pump. Please feel free to comment on this subject!

·
Registered
788 Posts

This weekend, I'm going to remove the catalytic converter, cut the flanges off, and weld them to a stainless straight pipe. Also, I'm going to wire in a circuit for the glow plugs and should have the thing started for the first time! Pics to come soon.

Gain any ground this weekend? I'm really dragging my feet on my swap.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: 87 Diesel Cabriolet project (Vee Dubb)

Here are my updates. Y'all that are planning on doing this swap: GET TO IT!
Catalytic converter issue settled. Took off the flanges and welded them to a 2.5" stainless steel tube bypass and made some gaskets with high temp gasket material. Pretty straight-forward.

I also finished the glow plug wiring with an OEM relay. I just need to trouble shoot it (the timer circuit is not working and the relay is staying on constantly). After I do this, I have to tackle the fuel pump issue. Honestly, I don't even know what all this stuff is on the gasoline engine (look at pics). Not sure what needs to go.

·
Registered
788 Posts

Here are my updates. Y'all that are planning on doing this swap: GET TO IT!

That supposed to be a hint? My, how subtle, lol.
I haven't made the decision yet what to do with all that mess by the tank, either. I think a full deletion is in order! Diesel doesn't need any of that high pressure stuff anyways.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.