VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer mechanic friend said I need both pumps. Just wondering the best place to price these items. Anyone have a price for these off the top of their head. What would a independant shop charge labor?

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Re: '89 Cabby needs both fuel pumps. (vwgtipowr)

I had to replace both as well. I got a rebuilt fuel-pump, pre-pump and labor for about 250....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Re: '89 Cabby needs both fuel pumps. (White Lightening)

Replace the in-tank pump first, the in-tank pump supplies fuel to the second pump which actually lubes the pump. So replace the in-tank first and see how things go. By-the-way, the in-tank pump is much much cheaper to replace ($40-$75). Good luck and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Re: '89 Cabby needs both fuel pumps. (RedRedOne)

there are 2 pumps in an 89? I thought there was only one! my 83 GTi has the same engine as my 89 cabriolet, and thats only got 1 pump.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
89 should have two pumps...
you can get them from autozone/advance auto for $100 a peice with a lifetime warranty (I have had mine for a couple years with no probs... good to know i won't have to pay for them ever again though)... make sure you get a new o-ring for the tank when you do that one... and go ahead and replace your fuel pump relay too...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: '89 Cabby needs both fuel pumps. (White Lightening)

I fooled with replacing the cheap one first 30 bucks on ebay, then after that did not help (though was proly needed) I dished out the 80 bucks for the secondary pump (pressurizes the fuel) at autozone. That fixed the car until now which I am having the wierdest problem ever. If you are a mechanic or know your vdub CIS in and out send me an email. [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts