VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

89 Jetta w/Auto Starter issues. Please help.

397 views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  generationduce 
#1 ·
Hello fellow dubsters,
What does it take to get to my starter on my '89 Jetta w/Automatic. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've very disappointed in the location chosen. My car wouldn't turn over, so it either needs new starter or connects cleaned and tightened. It's not the neutral switch, I've got juice going from there to the starter. Thanks again gang! Ryan.

#2 ·
HOpefully you don't need to replace it. Just did mine. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.
BUt to start of it involves removing your driveshaft. Some people say you can get it out without removing the driveshaft but I was not able to do so.
So let me know what info you need and I will help you as best I can.

#3 ·
Re: (Bigdonny)

Which side did you have to yank?
How time consuming was the task?
I might want to replace while I'm in there regardless.
Could you reach the terminals without pulling the shaft?
I might just have to address those. The starter showed no signs of going out.
I have no click, no nothing, but juice to it from the gear position sensor. The diagram shows a direct path from there.
Hey thanks Bigdonny! I went looking for the starter and freaked. I'm a manual tranny guy historically and as you might know the starters upfront....where it should be!!!!!!
LOL!

#5 ·
Re: (generationduce)

Time consuming : Yes
Location: Put car up on jack stands and go on the passenger side of the tranny and look up between the passenger side driveshaft and the engine. You will see the starter up there just underneath your exhaust manifold. Wires will be on that side and they are extremely tricky to get to.
Alrighty lets go through this in steps.
1. Disconnect your battery terminals!!!
To check the wire connections at the starter you can reach them without pulling the driveshaft. It is tricky but can be done. Check those and clean em up and see if that helps.
2. Make sure to test and see if you are getting juice while someone is cranking the engine (or attempting to in this case) If not it could be a battery/wiring issue.
3. If you have the relay setup in your car it may be the relay is pooched. I had the relay in mine as well and it was pooched. So pull out the relay and check and make sure it's clean and all the insides of the connectors underneath are clean.
TO check for the relay follow your terminal 50 wire (red wire that goes to starter and if it goes up towards your Firewall and not to a little black thing with a relay on top of it then you don't have one.
4. If all these things are ok and you still can't get that starter to turn chances are it is heat soaked.
So now we go into the removal and reinstallation procedures
Step by step:
1. Disconnect your battery!!! Both Terminals!!! Just in case cause you never know.
2. Remove driveshaft: now to do this there is a another set of steps.
Undo the big 30mm nut (easier if car is on ground) on the end of the spindle. Then undo your ball joint (three 13mm nuts and bolts on the outside of your control arm). Before pulling the driveshaft out at the wheel undo your inner CV joint (6 bolts that require a special 12 point 8mm socket aka 8mm triple square socket, probably about 10+ dollars at a parts store or may have to be ordered from Snap-On if you can't get your hands on one in your local area). Now pull on the wheel until you can get the driveshaft out of the hub and off of the tranny. Do not get dirt in the inner CV Joint (cover with a clean rag once you have it out). I also wrapped a rag around the coupler that is attached to the transmission to prevent dirt from getting into it.
3. Now you can undo the small nuts for the heat shield (two 10mm nuts).
4. There are "3" 13mm bolts on the starter that you have to find. One near the bottom which is relatively easy to get at. You will need to use a 13mm wrench for all three of them. so get ready to bust your knuckles
2 of the bolts are near the top and you will have to get up above them to get those out so you have to do those from the upper areas. One of them is through the heat shield. If you feel around just behind the back of the head and the side of the transmission area you will find them. They are a pain in the a$$ to get out but be patient and you will get it.
5. Once the three bolts are out you can undo the negative battery cable that is bolted onto it with a 13mm nut. and just pull the red Terminal 50 wire off.
6. I.spect heat shield and then wrap it with header tape if it is ok. If it is rusted out trid pop-riveting some scrap steal to it and making it close to the original shape and then wrap it. Also wrap the exhaust where it passes the starter as well. This will prevent future heat soak.
7. Wire the starter up and test to see if it spins when it gets power. If yes then install new starter.
8. Installation is opposite of reverse.
BUT I WILL SAY IT HERE NOW FOR ALL TO SEE!!!! MAKE SURE YOU PUT IN THAT HEAT SHIELD!!!
Not wanting to yell but it is one of the most important things with the auto starter.
Hope this helps. If you are unclear feel free to ask.

#6 ·
Also as for the relay I just bypassed mine completely. I wired the terminal 50 wire to itself. There will be two red wires going into the relay itself and all you do is take them out of the relay and splice them together (solder them if you have the stuff). The one red wire will go to your starter and the other will head towards your firewall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.