VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled all the injectors to check spray pattern and replace the seals because I've been having issues with it running. I put the injectors in individual plastic bottles to check spray and when I turned the key to turn the pump on I lifted the cis air meter to simulate airflow and only 1 injector sprayed. I turned the key like I was going to turn it over and lifted the air meter and all 4 sprayed. Is that normal? I though all 4 sprayed when it was lifted as long as the pump was on.

Spray pattern and flow were the same between all 4.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
656 Posts
with a turn of the key, you get a one shot until it actually starts running then it works and all 4.

you need to make a jumper wire to run the fuel pump continuously, in place of the relay.

then you can check all 4

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
Yup, bypass the fuel pump relay and lift the plate. I'm certain there is a spec, but in a perfect world, they would all spray the same.

Since idle seems to be a big concern for most, I concentrate on the lower flow. If there are any big drops in the delivery, that will cause the idle to be rough. Normally that is the injectors job to spray the fuel. Also watch for the injectors to leak down. You may have to leave them sit for awhile.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have you checked mixture?
If it is set correctly it will be rich enough that all spray and it starts instantly
this depends on air, not from the idle screw but the tiny lock screw which barely opens the throttle blade at zero throttle
I lock that screw at 0 lash + 3/4 turn per an old guy 30 years ago
a stock engine with time at 6 degrees should idle easily around 800-900

i

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt jump the relay i just turned the car over and lifted the plate to see all 4 spray. The patterns were good and the amount were the same between them all. I did have 1 that had a gasket that was wrecked. It has been that way for a while from the looks of it. I appreciate all the help.

I'm still having an issue with it sputtering in lower rmp range with hesitation but as soon as you floor it it runs great.

Its the far right injector seal.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All but 1 sprays correctly. I soaked them in seafoam for a day to try and clean them up then pressure sprayed them out. I got them to spray better but I still have 1 thats rough. I have a friend with an ultrasonic bath so they're getting the royal treatment but Im almost positive I need to just replace them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bath helped but not alot. Time for new injectors. Im going to puck up some new Mercedes 190 brass injectors. I noticed they don't have the air guard on the tip does this matter? I dont think it does but just making sure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah thats the plan. They came in today and they are so nice. Azautohauz has them 80 bucks for all 4. Definitely reccomed them if you've never shopped from they before. Im going to swap in the new injectors and seals tomorrow and see if that helps.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
I own a auto repair shop. Specialize in Mercedes/BMW/VW/Audi. I can get parts delivered in hours and prices that are a bit less. I'm also the warranty administrator so if there are any issues, they do not question me. Not that I would recommend everyone to dive into the automotive field, it does have some advantages.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
FYI, I fix cars and do not sell parts on the internet. I have helped people in the past but that is when they are at the end of their rope. If people understood the logistics of selling parts, they would not whine so much why they cost a lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear that man. People don't think about everything thats involved. Im just happy that there are manufacturers that are still making old parts like this.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I habent started it yet. I was replacing some questionable vaccum lines and I painted thr valve cover since I had it off. Im going to start it up when I get back home. Either way new injectors will be a huge improvement.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I went to start it up and it won't start. It turns over but won't start. Check the wires and there's no fire. Check the coil and there's fire coming from that so now I have to track down what is unplugged. I swear its always something.

I hate working on things over a long period of time. Im sure its something I've done and just can't find right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will the ground from the coil to the valve cover do this? I painted the valve cover and the metal bars that hold it down. When I reattached the ground wire I didnt even think about it.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
No. It's mostly for radio noise shielding.

I'm all for grounding but I try and remove as many grounds as I can. I do not understand why the Germans like to ground stuff so much. If the coil is mounted to the grounded body, what is the purpose of grounding it to the engine? Is it because maybe the main engine ground cable is poor? Could be, but I would just fix that instead of adding more.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts