VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I've owned my 86 Golf, base model, for almost 2 years, basically saved it from the scrap pile. Straight to the point, I've been planning an ABA Turbo swap for it basically since I bought it, just wanting to see how long the old 1.8 would last as my car has the best part of 300,000 miles. Talking to a buddy yesterday he asked what engine was in it, I just assumed it had a GX or JH engine like it should. However when i checked the block, for the casting identification, it says PF.. which i recognise as the 1988-1990 GTI 8v engine, which ran Digifant. My car still uses CIS-Lambda. Upon closer inspection my car also has the 4-2-1 PF downpipe. So it appears someone put a PF block in my car with an older hydro valve CIS head. Actually quite excited to have learned this, but is there any way of identifying the cylinder head thats on there? I can tell you that it's a 1986 model year, hydro valves, and was (is) a California model. There's a series of casting number on the head itself, I'll list them below.

Under valve cover, above piston 1:
U26 103 373 AA

Under valve cover, between piston 2 and 3:
3 ME

Between spark plug 1 and 2:

There's also a large P by plug 4 and an upside down G above the block identification casting.

Sorry if all those numbers are gibberish, they're the only identifying marks on there. Spent most of yesterday searching and trying to figure it out, but had no luck.

Thanks much, everyone
Joe G

·
Registered
7,547 Posts
I don't see you mention what country the cylinder head was manufactured in. It's easy to spot, usually the word is cast into the front side of the head (by the alternator IIRC). That may not confirm, but at least narrow down things a bit.

Did your car have any other indications of being enthusiast owned before you? If it was originally a base model CIS car as you say, maybe someone took an opportunity to upgrade to a big valve GTI/GLI head?

Another telltale bit of info would be to check if your head has the plastic nipple on the back, with a vacuum hose for the air shrouded CIS injectors and/or threaded holes for the Digifant fuel rail brackets.

^ Edit on the above ^ Now that I'm thinking about it, it simply sounds like the car had a "tall block" swap out of a later car. Whoever did it knew enough that you can put CIS on a Digi equipped engine by swapping over some of the parts. Whether it was intended as an upgrade by an enthusiast, or just a replacement, who knows...

·
Registered
899 Posts
same part number as my spare head. which is 40mm inlet, 33mm exhaust and hydraulic lifters. oh and only 4 cam caps:thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts