VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
post em up, i'm new to the 8v scene, used to VRs but i want to see what kinda free/cheap tips and tricks can be done to the 8v to make it run better/more reliable/faster. lets hear em!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Re: 8v FREE tips and tricks (MidnightVR6)

there is a way to make/richen up the fuel mixture like the Fuel Enrichment Modules on the 1.8L 16V. I just dont/have never done that.
I make Short Throw shift kits....

·
Registered
37,606 Posts
Re: 8v FREE tips and tricks (aburchell44)

quote:[HR][/HR]there is a way to make/richen up the fuel mixture like the Fuel Enrichment Modules on the 1.8L 16V. I just dont/have never done that..[HR][/HR]​
Yes, on CIS you turn the 3mm hex screw in the fuel distributor clockwise. I don't suggest doing that unless you have a A/F gauge, dwell meter, or CO meter handy and know what you're doing.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: 8v FREE tips and tricks (Racer_X)

quote:[HR][/HR]There are so many 8V's. Which one do you have? What year, model, and what injection system?[HR][/HR]​
He's running a 90 digifant 8v coupe.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts

1st thing I'd do since ya just got it. (unless ya know derek/gary already did)
Wires, plugs, cap, rotor, timing, vac lines, check seals, injector o-rings( you need 8), oil(we did that).
Oh ya, you can do the cheesy ghetto mod and gut your airbox. I think it actually helps, but worse comes to worse, you'll have a nice deep throaty sound from the intake.

[Modified by HiJinx, 10:32 AM 1-23-2003]

·
Banned
6,423 Posts

My JH 8v mod tips- Not in order of performance or price , etc...
K&N, big bore intkae pipe, A2 TB, also use a bolt/nut btw. butterfly slide and ajust accordingly.

headers,larger pipes/exhaust
bosch standard plugs, larger wires, MSD 2 coil, cap/rotor
vacuum lines, basic maintenance, etc 20/w50 all the time, only VW filter
low temps
HD mounts- huge difference. no more lost power
adjust timing, shave head, get a Cam & vlv. springs.............

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: 8v FREE tips and tricks (gtimagic)

what do you guys suggest i run my A/F mixture at when I put my schrick 276 solid lifter cam in. 1.8JH, shaved head... I had it in until i had to take it through aircare (smog test for those of you south of the border)...But i forgot what i was running the A/F before i changed the mixture.

·
Registered
37,606 Posts
Re: 8v FREE tips and tricks (dlpjedi)

What A/F gauge you using? I tune mine to read 12.5:1 A/F on my SDS gauge and that seems to be where I get the best ETs. You might want a little richer/leaner depending the setup of your motor and timing. I run a tad on the rich side to combat knock, I try and run 10deg intitial timing with no KS on 10:1 and it doesn't knock at full load even when it's hot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts