VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

8v heads..

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  rocco8v 
#1 ·
I have two 8v heads, one is in my 90 golf and another was given to me by a friend.We do not know what it came out of but it has"germany"stamped on the right front above the spark plug and the one in my car douse not. My VIN indicates that my car was built in Mexico's my question to u guys is.Is there en difference between the two, internals, quality, what?

#2 ·
Re: 8v heads.. (Mk2Dan)

Well, depending on the lifter style, yes. Even if both are hydro, the german cast head has better port design, and is a better head overall. If the head is a solid lifter head, and you have a golf... i say go for it. you will be able to pull more power (hypothetically speaking) from this head. At least that is what Colin says.
have fun

#4 ·
Re: 8v heads.. (mudder1310)

Quote, originally posted by mudder1310 »
All things being equal the German head is the better one. However, as mentioned you can get more HP out of a solid lifter setup. The downside is having to adjust your valvetrain more often with solid lifters.

Yeah... about every three or four years. I have never had an engine together long enough to need a valve shimming. It's not like the Beetles, when you had to adjust every oil change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.