VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong area but I have done a little searching and all i find is one person asking the question and then everyone else arguing about the answers given lol. So I will try again if not for me then for them.
I have a 86 Scirocco with an 8v. I found a completely rebuilt 16v(out of some scirocco I believe). Will this drop right into my car without any modifications. I already understand I will need to replace exhaust (but it needs fixing anyway). But how about my 5 speed transmission? Or anything else...
Please help, I love this car and may have just found it's heart transplant to keep it going for years to come. Just need help on figuring out whether it is worth it or not. Thanks very much guys!

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: 8v to a 16v (1andOnlyScirocco)

I guess this 16V has the throttle body on the driver side? If so it should pretty much drop in. However (Assuming you have CIS-E, which I think you do) you will want to swap the OCU and KSCU for the 16V versions. The wiring harness in the engine bay will need to be moved around for things in different spots like the distributor, ISV, coolant sensors and some oil sensors. If you have an 020 tranny you will also need to use the 8V clutch because of the tranny spline but it is otherwise the same as the 16V and you should use the 16V pressure plate.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 8v to a 16v (wclark)

I did not take note of the throttle body positioning. I will check it out. But by what your saying is wiring only needs to be moved if the throttle body is on the passenger side.
I'm sorry and semi-new at volkswagen parts. What is a CIS-E, OCU and a KSCU. And how can I tell what transmission I have. By reading up on it, I am already assuming I have a 020.
Other then that moving wiring around to fit isn't much of a problem, but more of a annoyance.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: 8v to a 16v (1andOnlyScirocco)

Quote, originally posted by 1andOnlyScirocco »

I'm sorry and semi-new at volkswagen parts. What is a CIS-E, OCU and a KSCU. And how can I tell what transmission I have. By reading up on it, I am already assuming I have a 020.

You are not familiar with any of this stuff and you plan to do an engine swap by yourself? Brave (or foolish) man. Do you at least have a Bentley service manual for the Scirocco?

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to say I'm brave. I've done engine swaps before, just not on an European car. Plus everyone abbreviates things, and I never figure them out. Then once explained they were self explanatory and I laugh at myself. And no I don't have a Bentley service manual, Im sure I can get one.

· Registered
2,071 Posts
Re: (1andOnlyScirocco)

Start by getting the Bentley for your series. That should be this one: http://www.bentleypublishers.c...=vs93
You might also want to read up on Bosch injection systems, especially the CIS systems. This is the book I recommend: http://www.bentleypublishers.c...=gfib
Briefly...
CIS stands for Continuous Injection System. Bosch made all of them. The basic system is the K-Jetronic (VW folks just call it CIS). When an O2 sensor was added it became the K-Jetronic with Lambda that VW types call CIS-L and this was the first of the ones with a electronic control unit to manage AFR electronically. Later more electronic controls were added including knock sensors, electronic ignition timing and this was KE-Jetronic (called CIS-E) in 2 boxes and later when integrated into a single ECU the KE-Motronic (called CIS-Motronic). Not too confusing, huh?
Most 16V have either KE-Jetronic or KE-Motronic and I believe all the 16V Scirocco were KE-Jet.
The K-Jet w/Lambda system had 1 electronic box that mainly managed air/fuel (Oxygen Control unit - OCU, OXCU and the like abbreviations). KE-Jet added a second box along with a knock sensor and electronic ignition timing (Knock Sensor Control Unit - KSCU, knock box, what-have-you).
To make thing interesting there are multiple CIS-E variants for different 8V and 16V engines, and though functionally similar, using anything but the control units for the 16V will hamper a 16V engines performance. The good news is the CIS-E (KE-Jet) wiring harnesses between a CIS-E 8V and 16V in a any given car were functionally very similar, and the fuel distributor/airflow sensor was the same as were the fuel injectors (though the fuel lines were different because of the layout differences).
KE-Motronic came along around 1990 and put everything in one box. It also brought with it some changes to things like the ISV, fuel distributor, fuel injectors, coil, a unique wire harness and other stuff just (it seems) to make them incompatible with the KE-Jet. The 2.0 16V code named engine type 9A used this system. The KE-Motronic system will work fine with a 1.8 16V - code named PL - and the 9A works fine with the KE-Jet, but the KE-Jet and KE-Motronic dont mix well other than a few sensors and the ignition distributor hall sender.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Totally got all of that. It's real good to know this but I do love how confusing volkswagen likes to get lol. I very much appreciate your helping me on this subject. I am going to check into this manual...
it seems to me there is a lot of just mixing and matching of parts going on. Just have to figure out what goes and doesn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.