VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what size diamete piping I should run. Turbo will be a K26. I don't know what kind of PSI i can make the thing put out but well see. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Re: 8v Turbo Piping diamete?? (CDJetta)

I will be running 2.0" boost piping on my 2.0T project. The compressor inlet will be running 2.5" piping.
It's not uncommon to see people run 2" to the IC, then from the IC to the TB 2.5" rocco2.0gtilondon and Agtronic are two individuals. that run smaller pre-IC pipes and larger post-IC pipes.

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 8v Turbo Piping diamete?? (StevenT)

cool cool. do you know any places to get mandrel bent pipes online for a decent price?? I think I can get most of the pipes(one 90 degree bend, one 45 degree bend, and two straight pipes) for 20 dollars and I know where to get silicone hoses but I am just clueless where to get other pipes at. i am getting those pipes above off of a ebay auction.
Also. I am going to be running CIS with stock injectors and all. What do I need to do fueling wise to get this running? Should I upgrade to g60 injectors? Anything else need to be done to get more fuel to this?? New FPR, new fuel pump?? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
15,039 Posts
Re: 8v Turbo Piping diamete?? (JamieK18T)

http://www.jcwhitney.com bends are excellent. Jegs bends are pretty inconsistent - I've used around 30 of them in various projects and wasn't too satisfied. If you need tight radius stuff, check out user "boostcoolers" on ebay. I got some tight 2.5" from him and they were amazing.
I ran 2.0" to start, no problems. I run 2.5" now because my piping is literally under 24".

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: 8v Turbo Piping diamete?? (2kjettaguy)

Yeah.... some one just pointed me to jegs. They have some cheap bends though. If they suck though then screw that. I will check out jcwhitney.
Oh yeah. Sorta popped into my head. Anybody know what kind of bends I would need to get from the turbo to intercooler and back to the intake mani?? Also. What size is the stock plastic intake piping?? Do I just use one silicone connector to connect the stock intake piping to the turbo intake??
I still don't know what to do about fueling. I sold my out of tank pump/inline pump a long time ago so I am in the market for a new inline fuel pump and I am wondering if I should just get a walbro 255 instead of getting a used stock pump. How hard are the walbro's to install on the CIS system. I know the stock fuel assembly has about 5 lines running in and out of it. Am I going to need to simplify the lines and run two long lines from the transfer pump to the engine compartment and back??
I appreciate all the help. Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I read this thread and I am interested in turbochargin my 8v 1991 gti, however my knowledge is limited as to how the process is done. In concerns to the piping, how do you know what to order, do you make a list of what you want and then send the list of your requirements to jc whitney or jegs? I am assuming that you need piping from the intake manifold, to the turbo, simply because the pressure would tear the stock plastic/rubber tube that it has at the moment. Also what is a mandrel bent tube, and how does this differ from the other processes of bending tubes?

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Nolllies)

Well... simple turbos here. Exhaust mani routes all exhaust fumes to a turbo in which turns a exhaust wheel that turns a compressor wheel which compresses the air. Something like that. Now the turbo pulls air from a air filter and compresses it and then the air goes from there to a intercooler(IC) or straight to your intake manifold. Now since you are pushing air into your engine with your exhaust you get a pressure build up with you let off the gas in your intake manifold so you need a way to get rid of this air. To do so you put in a diverter valve or a blow of valve(BOV).
That's the basics of it. Sorry if i foopaad on the really really fine technical stuff. I'm no pro. As for the pipes. If you go to your local auto zone or discount auto parts and look at the exhaust pipes you will see that there are kinks in it. Basically they took the pipe and bent it and when they bent it the inner part of the bend compressed which formed the kinks and ripples. A mndrel bent pipe goes through a very expensive machine and some how doesn't get any kinks in it and it stays the same diamete through out the whole curve/bend this way when you want 2" tubing you will have 2" tubing through out your whole setup. if you use non mandrel bent tubes parts will be smaller and those will be bottle necks in which restrict the air flow and decrease perfromance.
With jcwhitney and stuff like that. They usually have a online catalog or you can order a catalog and order what you need. You can also contact their cosutmer service but i doubt they would be able to help you with a custom turbo setup for a VW which is the reason why you come here and ask what you need like what I am doing.

A turbo kit is comprised of.
Turbo charger
turbo manifold
turbo downpipe
intake piping
ai filter
wastegate
BOV/diverter
oil return and feed lines for the turbo
now there are extras like with a 1990+ cars. Those need a new chip to help with fueling. If you are doing a decent amount of boost you might need new injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel pump. If your setup puts out decent HP figures you might need a new clutch because your clutch might not be able to handle the amount of desired HP. There are so many extras it gets pretty expensive. Sure you can put together a cheap kit but is everything else going to run fine around it??
what's cool about the older 8v engines is that parts are cheaper for us.
I own a vr6 and it's hella expensive to turbo that monster. any ways. That's my 2 cents. If i got something wrong sorry.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Re: (Nolllies)

In general, people will order a bunch of 180° bends and cut / weld pieces of different angles to make the desired shape. When I first set-out to turbo my car, I bought a 110V MIG welder just for this purpose. I had a hard time learning how to weld, but that's 'cause I had never been exposed to welding before, I didn't know how it was supposed to look / sound when welding. (I had an unusually hard time learning, but I can weld nicely now). This is the method you would use if you absolutely HAVE to make your own pipes.
Hope that helps.
Here's an example : http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1372533

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (Agtronic)

thanks for the help. how much do MIG welders cost?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts