VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

8V/York to 16V/Sanden A/C Swap

399 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  GTIZRX 
#1 ·
I'm swapping a 16V into my 84GTI. After using search, I can use a Sanden system out of a late Cabby to replace the York system. Right now, it looks like I'll need
Sanden compressor
a/c lines
condensor
expansion valve
filter
evaporator
I was wondering if anybody has used any of the major parts of the York system (like the condensor, expansion valve or evaporator), or am I better off just swapping all the major parts.
Also, is anyone running a 16V Rabbit swap with a 90 amp alternator and Sanden a/c compressor with the Rabbit manual steering rack.
Thanks, Pete

#2 ·
Re: 8V/York to 16V/Sanden A/C Swap (AZWabbit)

I have done it 3 times and about to do it a 4th time. I leave all of the interior parts alone I just change the rubber hoses, dryer, and condensor, compressor and go. No need to change the evaporator and if the expansion valve is working in your current system leave it there. Change it for piece of mind if you want but IMO don't break any more connections than you have to. If you want a bigger yet alternator get one from a Alpha Romeo 164 it is a 120 amp alternator and is a direct swap. I have not done this swap but I just read about it in a back issue of european car November 1992 page 56. They say it is a direct swap. And yes I will be running a 16v with a Sanden compressor with a 90 amp alternator and a manual steering rack.

Modified by GTIZRX at 5:41 AM 2-13-2004

#6 ·

For the 16v I just used the Scirocco 16v A/C alternator set up. It is a bolt on. I used a 85 and later cabby condensor for the 16v swap. I have done 3 8v swaps to the Sanden compressor and I used 2 different set ups on those. 1 I used the whole 85 and later condensor and brackets and A/C hoses. On the other I used the 85 and later brackets but used the compressor and condensor from a 81 diesel caddy. The A/C lines are routed a little different on the diesel models. The 16v is all 16v scirocco. IIRC you need both rubber hoses and compressor and condensor and the brackets that bolt to the block. The scirocco compressor had a different plug but it is no big deal. The rabbit used a single wire for the clutch and the scirocco used a 2 wire plug. The scirocco 2 wire is 1 hot and the other ground. So basically you hook up the hot wire from your car to the hot side of the scirocco plug and the other wire from the scirocco plug goes to ground and that is it as far as wiring. I think that is about it. It has been a while since I did it so I might have forgotten some of the small details.

Modified by GTIZRX at 12:04 AM 2-14-2004

#7 ·

I have the 16v engine out of the rabbit right now. It is getting very detailed and a bunch of parts powdercoated so if you want to see the bracketry and what it looks like bolted up to the block send me your e-mail and I will snap some pics in the next few days when the temp gets above freezing. LMK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.