VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before doing so tho, I would like to ask a few questions and get some feedback on them.
- What is the more reliable motor. 8v or 16v?
- What type of gas mileage can I expect from an 8v or 16v?
- Which of the two are easier to work on yourself. 8v?? 16v???
- What kinds of problems can I expect from an 8v or 16v???????
Heres an A2 pic for views....

Any help with these questions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Re: 8vSeriously considering purchasing an A2/Mk2 GTi, have questions tho.... (Waagenz)

the only real advantage in reliability is in an unmodded 8v because it is a non interference motor. if i had my choice again i'd do 16v, more power right out of the box. with a 16 just replace your timing belt as soon as you get the car and check the timing chain inside the head on the cams. the mileage will be really clsoe in both.
edit : i get about 500kms on 47 liters of super with a punched out 8v with 10.3:1 comp and a neuspeed 268 cam, open element filter and header back exhaust

·
Registered
15,622 Posts
Re: 8vSeriously considering purchasing an A2/Mk2 GTi, have questions tho.... (Waagenz)

8V has less problems and 8V is easier to work on. A lot of people will deny that here and give you "anything can be reliable if maintained" answer here. I will take abused 8V over abused 16V any day. However, 16V has more power potential and that is also a fact.
However, 16Vs can be reliable and 8Vs can be fast.

Quote »
the only real advantage in reliability is in an unmodded 8v because it is a non interference motor.

If it was only that simple...

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: 8vSeriously considering purchasing an A2/Mk2 GTi, have questions tho.... (Batan)

Quote, originally posted by Batan »
However, 16V has more power potential and that is also a fact.
However, 16Vs can be reliable and 8Vs can be fast.

Thanks for the help so far. Keep the feedback rolling. I have been leaning more towards the 16v, so I wonder.... How would someone go about making a 16v more reliable? I have heard that the aba 16v is the best to go with.
I sort of forgot the reason why.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
i like the 8v powerband alot more, ive never worked on a 16v, but to do anything to it it looks like you have to take most of the intake manifold off.
-Daniel

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Waagenz »

- What type of gas mileage can I expect from an 8v or 16v?

My best = 34 mpg on a tank with mostly hwy driving, some WOT and 4 runs at an autocross!
My worst was about 32 under similar conditions. I have been going slow on my current tank (other than yesterdays run down 95 with an Evo...) so I am hoping for better than 34 this time. I don't see how you could complain at all with anything over 30 though.
That said, I lust woefully for a beautiful, stock 16V GTI...

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: 8vSeriously considering purchasing an A2/Mk2 GTi, have questions tho.... (maxorange7)

8v = 32-34 mpg?? Damn!!! Thats pretty good!!!

·
Registered
Mk4 VR6, Mk2 16v, 05 CVPI, Accord DD
4,190 Posts

The ABA 16v is used as a forced induction engine because the ABA block (93-95) has some forged internals/piston oil squirters, is extremely reliable, and lowers the compression to something like 8.5 to 1 (I wish I could remember for sure). I've heard many claims of making 300+ reliable hp on stock internals, but I haven't known any personally.
Anyway, I can say that the 2L 16v in my friends 91 GTI drives great with 271,000 miles on it as of 1 hour ago when I drove it last. It burns oil, but it pulls and it's smooth revving. It gets used very hard and holds up great. The only internal engine work that has ever been done to it is a valve cover gasket. My 8v has 211k on the block and tranny (head has 18k on it) and it runs great during long stretches of over 5,000rpm. They're both on thier way out as far as any scrutinizing driver is concerned, but they have awhile left if driven total granny style. If it says anything, I'm replacing my 8v with a 1.8 16v. The 16v is more fun in my opinion. I think the 1.8 is more fun to drive, but the 2L makes more power and torque which is a fact. It's the powerband and the feel of the engine that gives the 1.8 it's redeeming qualities.

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: 8vSeriously considering purchasing an A2/Mk2 GTi, have questions tho.... (fopeano)

Thanks for the info. on the aba 16v fopeano... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts