VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 91 g60 automatic. Story goes that the PO put the starter in wrong, chewed up the flexplate teeth that equals a messed up starter gear. After 4 starters in the past 6 months (thank god for warranties), it's time to replace the flexplate. I know what models work, and am going to need to get a new starter gear for the starter because the auto parts place saw the screwed up gear last time I did a warranty exchange.

Question is, how big of a job is this? What's the better way to do it? I was thinking of pulling engine and trans together and replacing it that way. I have replaced the clutch and flywheel on a 91 g60 manual and the trans was a bastard to get back in. Just wondering which was is going to be faster and easier. Serious responses only please, don't wanna swap a VR or a manual trans right now.

· Registered
6,951 Posts
Sorry, since you stated

Serious responses only please
I thought I wasn't going to have anything good.

:p

Just pull the trans. Unless you really want to pull the whole motor out. Its 100% your call.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
Best way is to pull the motor and trans than split the two apart. On an auto G60 the starter ring is welded to the torque converter. The TQ needs to be replaced and at the sametime change the front pump seal. Sorry I don't have pic's loaded to post.

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starter ring welded to the torque converter? I was under the impression the starter ring was on the flexplate. That's what I have seen thus far with the replacements I have looked at? Never dealt with an auto vw trans before.

· Registered
2,010 Posts
On vw's with manual trans the flywheel has the ring gear. The automatic flex plate has the TQ attached by 3 bolts and the ring gear is welded to the TQ. I will try to get a pic to show it. What replacements have you looked at?

· Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just an 096 trans, so anything with the 096 would work. I think it was beetle, passat, corrado, golf, something like that, can't remember now. All the pics I have seen have had the ring gear on the flexplate. Maybe they aren't product specific images. Bentley doesn't really go into alot of detail about it, or the auto trans in general.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.