VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,720 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (BltByKrmn)

It's awesome...the purists can go to hell

Seriously its faster, more tuneable, cheaper to run, what's not to love?
Mike

·
Registered
16,949 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »
I think it looks pretty damn cool and its obviously reliable with SBC. What trans would you use with this???

I assume the Porsche tranny. The Ultima GTR uses a SBC and a Porsche tranny.

·
Registered
38,608 Posts

it probably has the Porsche G50 tranny. that thing is one of the best and most versatile transmissions on this planet. that's not any Porsche bias, it's just a fact. the G50 rules!
911 with an SBC? i'd drive it, the more people i pissed off... the better. their opinion doesn't matter anyways. i've heard enough flat-6s to last 25 lifetimes. i've never heard a 911 with a SBC sound coming from it though. that'd sound awesome especially through that short exhaust pipe.

obin

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (SeattleGLI)

Quote, originally posted by SeattleGLI »
Yes, it's all about the bellhousing adapter.
Personally, unless it was alloy, that'd be way more weight than I'd want hanging off the rear of that car.

I couldn't imagine that a SBC would weigh too much more than a 911 Turbo motor, and if it does there are just about an unlimited amount of weight saving parts for it in the aftermarket.
The only thing I can't really figure out is how they cool it. That seems like it would be a lot of radiator plumbing to get from the front of the car to the back, and it doesn't seem like too big of a radiator to begin with. Hmm...

·
Registered
15,158 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (Volkara)

Quote, originally posted by Volkara »
interesting amount of miles on it...
That's just cuz it don't matta, y0.
Yeah, a SBC in a Porsche is pretty good idea: ultra-tunable, good sound, great low end torque, and I'm sure there are ways to make it light enough...

·
Registered
2021 Lexus GX460, 2005 Lexus GX470, 1973 IH Scout
16,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 911 with SBC??? (SidVicious)

I would really think about buying this car but I have had enough of project cars for a while

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

One of the best performance cars ever meets the best performance engine ever. Can't say there's anything wrong with that. If done right, I doubt you'd notice a difference in handling.
(edited for clarity)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (sar4497)

Why not? I do have an extra $13,000 lying around too. Was going to use it for things for the house but I might as well... whispers, "Girlfriends coming go to go..

·
Registered
14,288 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BltByKrmn »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...76134
I cant decide if this is awesome or crazy.

I think it looks pretty damn cool and its obviously reliable with SBC. What trans would you use with this???

Reliable in what way? this guy could've fux0red up the swap by using cheap components somewhere. Wonder why all the ebay photos are clear except for the straight on engine shot He's probably spent more on the bodykit than he would for the engine. Renegade Hybrid cliams that the G50 transmission from a 930 would be sufficient for a SBC
The car's appearance though...disturbing. I do not mind looking at replica's. This though...is a mesh of nastiness. Non factory paint, 993 Turbo Bumpers and 964 rear brake ducts. Gross. If you're going to upgrade a 911's looks, make it consist of parts that from the same year 911 you're trying to make it look like!
I've no beef with V8 911s, because i'm not a purists...but I dislike hybrid looking Porsches.
I expect Chris V to come in here and make me look like a dunce for not appreciating a car that has a lot of work done to it and that was most likely a labor of love type car. But the guy is selling it:)
But...i expect it:)
edit: and this car has 964 side skirts! It would drive me bonkers if the upgraded body pieces like the rear flares were fiberglass too.
GRRR!! Just say no to hybrid looking 911s:p

Modified by SuperGroove at 8:05 PM 7-2-2003

·
Registered
16,949 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (SuperGroove)

Quote, originally posted by SuperGroove »
I've no beef with V8 911s, because i'm not a purists...but I dislike hybrid looking Porsches.
GRRR!! Just say no to hybrid looking 911s:p

Wait, you are fine with a different engine, but not different bodywork? Why on earth does it have to look like the 911 it was based on? Your nuts!

·
Registered
14,288 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (gtivr4)

Quote, originally posted by gtivr4 »

Wait, you are fine with a different engine, but not different bodywork? Why on earth does it have to look like the 911 it was based on? Your nuts!

...come to think of it....I have no reason to dislike different bodywork....but I do.
...and Yes I am nuts:) a googleyboogleyooowabawabagoo!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I dont know about that. Come on, it's a Porsche!!! For the $$ he put that V8 in there, he could have easily had a real (porsche) motor. It may be more expensive to maintain with the Porsche motor, but that's the price you're gonna pay if you want a Porsche.

·
Registered
32,086 Posts
Re: 911 with SBC??? (Neo)

They better have a good explanation for their deed... If not, God will PUNISH them!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts