VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize in advance for the potato phone pictures. There were a lot of people and it was hard to get good shots.
Anyway, local Porsche dealer orders two 918 Spyders ( among the last two built) and has them done in proper, official Gulf colors, with the support of Porsche and Gulf. They're truly amazing in person; the Gulf logos and stripes are paint; no decals here. I'll try and get more photos now that the cars are unveiled. He took huge steps to make sure they weren't on the internet before the unveiling party.

·
Registered
34,655 Posts
Pretty cool. I do wonder though, do Gulf gas stations still exist? I haven't seen one in years. :(

Assuming they're out there, in what part (state) of the US can someone find one?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Pretty cool. I do wonder though, do Gulf gas stations still exist? I haven't seen one in years. :(

Assuming they're out there, in what part (state) of the US can someone find one?

A local one. :)

I think I too prefer the Martini livery even if both have become quite popular lately.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Why not carry the theme to the top???

edit: is the top transparent? Maybe i just don't know that i'm talking about. :confused:

Also, does each car have a different color lug nut? (or whatever it's called on these cars)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Also, does each car have a different color lug nut? (or whatever it's called on these cars)
Center locks. Good catch on the colors, although I'm not sure if they're blue on one side and orange on the other, or if one car had them in orange and the other car in blue. Maybe op can help us out there.

·
Registered
'93 940, '07 Civic Hy, '17 NPS50, '17 GSW 4mo
4,468 Posts
Center locks. Good catch on the colors, although I'm not sure if they're blue on one side and orange on the other, or if one car had them in orange and the other car in blue. Maybe op can help us out there.
Different colors on each side so you know which one goes where.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Nice, but prefer the Martini on the 918

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Center Locks!

Appreciate the knowledge gents.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,172 Posts

Gulf Oil no longer operates as a *"major" oil company. It merged with Standard Oil California and became Chevron which then also swallowed up Texaco. Despite all of the anger and frustration directed toward the Western majors, for racing history buffs, the consolidation of the last few decades has been a little sad.

Today, Cumberland Farms owns the rights to the Gulf Oil name and operates a bunch of gas stations around the country. There is also a Gulf Oil, LP that is more of a holding company that operates as a very lean, non-retail organization essentially trading off the brand. They simply make money on licensing things like motor oil and t-shirts.

*A "major" is typically defined as an oil and gas company that operates within all facets of the energy industry from exploration and production (upstream), to refining and transportation (midstream), to retail (downstream). In the past few years, most majors have been dumping the retail end and downstream and midstream operations have merged into a single definition.

/oil nerd :)

EDIT TO ADD: Moar heritage!

Just to get things into persepctive. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wasn't at the event but I drove by (forgot it was happening that night) and got to hear one of theses beauty's rev a bit. It was glorious and the cars are pieces of art!

Please post more pictures if you have some :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts