VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 334 Posts

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my toyota pickup! I bought it for the low, low price of $1800. It had a bedside made of bondo and 259,000 miles but it runs and drives and stops and the 4x4 works great.

Growing up my parents had a built '85 4Runner with a chevy 350, 7" of lift and 38" Super Swampers

First Mod! 31" General Grabber AT2's which are awesome tires. Basically the General brand version of the BFG All Terrain KO2.

Had to test the new tires out. Got the home made rear bumper stuck and bent the mounts/frame :rolleyes:

Decided for the time being I would just sawzall the bumper off completely. Next off road allowed much greater approach angle.

Then snowzilla 2k16 hit and DC had roughly 18' of snow and many unplowed roads. AKA Toyota playground! I forgot to reinstall the skidplate after doing the water pump install, but other than that it did excellent.

whoops. really needed that skid plate!

More on this later, but over the summer it overheated while i left the truck idiling with the ac on. Headgasket failure suspected! burped the air out, and kept on plowing through the snow.

Even helped pull out a chevy 2500hd diesel stuck up to its frame, and a bunch of stuck cars in DC.

She's glorious!

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Coolant fan clutch is the culprit for the overheating. It was way too loose. For now, I opened it up, repacked it with dielectric grease, and sealed it back up. Much better!

I bought a slim line bumper with integrated trailer hitch, so decided it would be easier to fix everything with the bed off. From here, the project snowballed into a body off restoration.

Took it to the car wash to clean the 24 years of grime off of the back of the frame.

Warning: gratuitous rust ahead :mad:

Bent frame/bumper mounts :(

typical toyota spare tire rust

whoops

worst rust was in the spare tire area, the gas tank crossmember (also common on this era toyota). The rest of the frame wasn't terrible.

yikes.

Decided I had an air compressor, I had a harbor freight bottle sand blaster, might as well do it myself.

gas tank crossmember cut out

yeeeaaahh :cool:

My tiny little 1 car carport that was enclosed into a garage. REALLY wish I had a two car space for all this work.

·
Registered
34,660 Posts
Inspiring! Mine has a bent bumper also...maybe a full resto is in order. :D

I'm glad to see you do all this work to keep that truck on the road, but wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to the PNW, buy one of our rust-free specimens, prep it to keep it rust free, and enjoy it?

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Inspiring! Mine has a bent bumper also...maybe a full resto is in order. :D

I'm glad to see you do all this work to keep that truck on the road, but wouldn't it be cheaper to fly to the PNW, buy one of our rust-free specimens, prep it to keep it rust free, and enjoy it?

Definitely would have been easier. Would have also been very much worth it to take the frame to a place that specializes in sand blasting. It took FOREVER.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'm surprised you got it for so cheap. Usually they're either priced high or sent to South America.
It was a trade in at a local used car lot. The drivers side bedside was made mostly of Bondo and riveted in sheet metal. They were going to just send it off to auction it was in their side lot. I definitely got lucky and got a good deal on it.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
Ha! Just realized who created the thread :laugh:

Nice score duder. I've been super happy with the Grabbers on the Ranger. Jealous of your extra-wheel-drive though.

If you need any help with welding stuff, I'm still at the same place, and have plenty of wire/gas in the Miller. Just give me a holler.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ha! Just realized who created the thread :laugh:

Nice score duder. I've been super happy with the Grabbers on the Ranger. Jealous of your extra-wheel-drive though.

If you need any help with welding stuff, I'm still at the same place, and have plenty of wire/gas in the Miller. Just give me a holler.
Hola! I was eyeing up ranger dangers before I found this truck. Yours looks really clean!

I need to pick up a mig welder of my own, but fortunately I have the Eastwood AC/DC tig 200 and a Chinese tig/plasma cutter I've been using so far.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The gast tank crossmember had some extra natural ventilation holes in it, so it had to be cut out and replaced. The crossmember is just a round pipe that goes through both sides of the frame walls, meaning 4 sets of welds to cut through, grind, and air hammer to get the pieces out. Once that was done, a new piece was cut to length and put into place and welded on all sides.

Success!

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prepping to remove the cab. bask in the glory of a 259,000 mile 22-RE :laugh:

This is the main engine harness from the ECU. A wire running to the Cold start injector has burnt through its insulation , so almost the entire bundle had to be untaped. more on that later.

100% OSHA approved lifting methods in place here! :eek:

She's free! This was my first time ever pulling the bed/body off a vehicle. What a feeling when it finally happened! I had to tow the frame out of the garage with my wagon because it was too much to push by myself. It had been sitting for a while by the time I got to this point.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
pretty cool how far you are taking this. good luck with the project!

also, those side graphics are freaking sweet. i hope you can replicate them down the road when you get to painting that thing.

·
Registered
11,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pretty cool how far you are taking this. good luck with the project!

also, those side graphics are freaking sweet. i hope you can replicate them down the road when you get to painting that thing.
Thank you!

As for the graphics, at $125 per side, it won't be cheap. But it 100% will happen. Those graphics are definitely going back on once the truck is finished.

http://www.jamesdeancreations.com/1992.htm

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Awesome work! Keep it up.

:beer: for a local as well.

1 - 20 of 334 Posts