VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tank was a 1/4 full, motor cranked, but did not turn over. Has spark at the plugs when turning on ingnition. Sprayed a little ether in the air intake and it turned over, then died. Banged on the tank with a 1x3 while my wife cranked it and it turned over and ran. Turned it on and off and on about 4 times with no problem. Drove & topped it off with gas, ran fine. Got home and tried to start - back to cranking but not starting.
Is this the fuel pump? Maybe a fuel filter? Is the fuel pump easy to replace? How do I get to it? Where's a fuel filter and how do I get to it? Thanks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: '93 73,000 miles Eurovan Fuel Pump Problem? (vanderson)

Fuel pumps are very durable. I have one with 180k miles and another at 105k. And they normally fail totaly or fail by blowing the fuse.
The pump is "in" the tank. To get at it is not all that bad, the carpet above it is already perforated. Its just under the floor between the front seats. Get the carpet out of the way, remove the access plate. There is is.
The filter is under the car, center, just forward of the fuel tank.
But its probably not the pump. Probably not the filter either. Probably one of the relays.
There are three "tests"
1. Look at the fuel pump relay, its the one on the bottom row on the right. Does it look ok, if you have the engine running and you jiggle it does the engine stop? Remove it. Any water damage?
2. Fuel pump itself. Pull the connector off the pump. You only need to open that access panel for this. Connect a voltmeter to the two outside terminals of the connector. Crank the enigine. Get 12 volts?
3. Connect up suitable wires to the fuel pump itself, not the conector. Hit it will 12 volts. Fuel pump run?
I have also seen several VW's with bad power supply relays. Its marked "53" I think. The go intermittant. And since they supply power to the ECU which in turn supplies power to the fuel pump relay... if it goes nothing works either.
And one other area to look is the Ignition thingy. Its the equiv of the old coil ignition system, but newer and harder to fix...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: '93 73,000 miles Eurovan Fuel Pump Problem? (tantalus)

I looked at what I thought was the fuel pump relay. It is located at the fuse area to the lower left of the steering wheel, right? It looked ok, I can't get the engine to turn over so I can't test if it dies when I jiggle it. I removed it and put it back in, still did not start. I also wiggled all the other relays and checked the fuses with no luck. What about the relays under the hood behind the driver's side headlamp?

For the pump, I've pulled up the carpet but the brake lever is bolted over the plate. Can I just loosen bolts with the brake cable attached - or do I need to do something with the lever/cable? Thanks!

·
Registered
953 Posts
Re: '93 73,000 miles Eurovan Fuel Pump Problem? (vanderson)

If you just turn the ignition to "on" the fuel pump should run for a second or so. This is just the ECU waking up and getting the fuel system to run.
Try this: Turn the ignition to "on", then jiggle/wiggle the relays. If all is well nothing should happen. But if something does then you wiggled the problem.
Of course the best way to test the fuel pump is to simply jumper the relay. I will try and test this on the back up H.A.L. 9000 in my garage...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.