VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So over the weekend, which I dont really get into the garage anymore since I am there all week at "work" I picked up a new seat to finish up the back finally. They just need a little clean now and they will be perfect.

IMG-1149 by minthinrich, on Flickr
IMG-1146 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Stopped at the guys house I got the steelies from since he had some hubcaps he thought I might want. I love them for another option so of course I grabbed them.

IMG-1134 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Then onto some pictures of the front sensors. Hopefully they work. Soon once the rear is done I will test the system out.

IMG-1127 by minthinrich, on Flickr
IMG-1128 by minthinrich, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Rear sensors really were not that hard, but figuring out the bottom mount onto the beam was interesting. I thought I could grind off the paint and weld on a simple tab. No idea what the metal is that they used, but I could not get my weld to hold. Gave up rather quick and made a quick and dirty mount. I will probably add another hose clamp but for now it seems fine. Not like there is any kind of load on the sensors.

IMG-1148 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Got my used rear emblem in the mail yesterday which completes the hatch other than getting in the plate lights. I think those might come today but not really sure. Also made 2 new stickers for the hatch. The "burn all the mk3" is one I made for my friend and I decided to keep it since it was one of my first dual color. Added the bag guy from the OG air affair in 2007 (no one will remember that) and an orchid sticker.

IMG-1156 by minthinrich, on Flickr
IMG-1157 by minthinrich, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Love the seats James.You should color sand the orange peel out of the hatch.:beer:
I will probably try that soon. I have been thinking about options for the whole car tho since the paint needs some love. I am just not sure I can colorsand the hatch since I skimped a little on the clear so not sure how thick it really is. I might try my hand at wrapping the car.

Ebay special for the license plate lights. I didnt get anything with my hatch so I needed a complete unit. Few minutes looking for screws and I had the lights installed and plugged in. Very happy that they work.

IMG-1166 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Rolled the car outside to see what it looked like in the sun. Also threw on all the hubcaps for fun.

IMG-1161 by minthinrich, on Flickr
IMG-1160 by minthinrich, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Its been a while. Car is finally an antique. No more inspections and registration for life. Guess this one will be staying for a while.

IMG_1870 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I have some rad stickers I need to test out and they should be on soon hopefully. It will be a very 90s throwback that should work perfect with the seats and everything. Just some morning shots after I buffed all the crap off the paint.

IMG_2140 by minthinrich, on Flickr
DJI_20200917_091329_095 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Found the new wife a cabrio down the road at a friends house for $800. Needs some love this winter, but its running and driving now. Threw on my old coils and we found mini wheels locally that had new tires.

IMG_1571 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also had a mk1 gti racecar that I traded for a b5 s4.

IMG_1694 by minthinrich, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Lets catch up to whats been going on. I really havent worked on this thing at all, its been in hibernation on a charger. Decided to move it since I have some updates and run it a little.

So first thing was to swap out the steering wheel. I need to change the horn buttons or see why the one isnt working. I like my very simple euro one, but swapped it for a smaller euro leather.

IMG_3129 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Also the green matches my floor mats and part of the seats.

image_123927839 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Next I picked up some wheels from a friend that I have been after since I bought this car. They are legit BBS RX 17x7.5 et 35 4x100. Kinda rare I guess. They need a lot of love but they were a good price. I call this color soft nicotine since they seem stained. Its years of different color layers and dirt.

IMG_3123 by minthinrich, on Flickr

As you can see in the rear how far the wheel swings forward. I will try and make some "great plates" as they used to be called. I will space it back a little and try and get the wheels to sit more centered when aired out.

IMG_3122 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Full car looks decent once I sort out the height and fitment.

IMG_3124 by minthinrich, on Flickr

Quick spray bomb to see how a simple silver will look in the end. I plan to get them powdercoated sooner than later.

IMG_3131 by minthinrich, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I spent a little time on the trunk setup finally. I kind of forgot what it even looked like till the other day. I know I just threw it together so I could drive the car, but damn it was garbage.

IMG_3466 by minthinrich, on Flickr

I was going to do something fancy, but decided to just make a complete floor since the car never had anything in the back for carpet. Quick work and remounted the tank and compressor. I tried a few different variations, but the tank is long so I dont have many options until I order new tanks and a 2nd compressor. Sub box will probably stay out for now, unless I can rebuilt it into something smaller/hidden.

IMG_3528 by minthinrich, on Flickr

61 - 73 of 73 Posts