VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Jetta back from my wonderful sister who decided to purchase a 2003 GTI when she returned from serving in Afgahnistan.
I can do engine work/upgrades no problem, however I have never messed with suspension. The car is completely stock, still has stock struts and shocks which need replacing (over 200K on them.) I have done a search but thought I would post my question.
I do not mind the stock ride height and would like the suspension to handle better and be a bit more cushy on the bumps. I'm sure it's crappy because of the old struts etc right now. What struts/shocks do you guys suggest? Should I change the springs too to VR6?

· Registered
10,845 Posts
Re: 94 Jetta 2.0 suspension (MTVW)

There are going to be a ton of suggestions in answer to this thread. The H&R Cup Kit is a nice setup, it does lower the car a bit, but not slammed, or low enough to have rubbing, yet gives a nice smooth ride.

· Banned
2,966 Posts
H and R cupkit is not Smooth, and comfortable....Get Bilstein touring class, and keep your stock springs if you want comfort for daily...Get the cup kit if you want a drop, not too worried about comfort and want the car to handle like its on rails.

· Registered
10,845 Posts
Re: (MTVW)

Quote, originally posted by MTVW »
So the Bilsteins will add to the handling as well? I'm sure I should upgrade the mounts and bearings too right?
Thanks for the Replies!

Yes, Bilsteins are good too, and smooth depending on the springs you get

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (FlyBy)

KYB GR2 any good?
I'll probably keep the stock springs.
Should I upgrade the stock bearings, bushings and spring caps too? I saw a set for a VR6 for $100

Modified by MTVW at 7:48 AM 8-18-2006

· Registered
803 Posts
Re: (MTVW)

You will get answers all over the board here. I've got the Weitec GT 60/40 Cup Kit. The ride is very nice, not too stiff. I'd have liked a little stiffer. It rides like my wife's stock Protege suspension but is lower. It's all a matter of preference though. If you can, find folks with different setups and compare for yourself.

· Registered
10,057 Posts

I do not mind the stock ride height and would like the suspension to handle better and be a bit more cushy on the bumps. I'm sure it's crappy because of the old struts etc right now. What struts/shocks do you guys suggest? Should I change the springs too to VR6?

So which is it you want "handle better" or "a bit more cushy on the bumps"...you can't have both! Car set up for "cushy" will NOT "handle better". Suspension has to be stiff enuff to control body movement and keep the wheels on the road in the correct angle to handle better...to get this stiffness you need to give up some "cushy". Look at my Golf set up...stock springs, Bilstein HD shocks...but the real handling improvement was the swaybars! I installed those B4 I changed out the struts/shocks and wow what a differnence in handling..flatter cornering, faster turn it etc.! These cars are short wheelbase, so unless you leave wornout floaty struts/shocks in there you will never get the "cushy" ride you get with a longer wheelbase, heavier car...my Passat with lowering springs and Bilstein Sports, rides smoother than my Golf...way longer wheelbase and weighs 1000#+ more though!

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: 94 Jetta 2.0 suspension (spitpilot)

Ok....so change the shocks and struts....add a sway bar = Much improved handling.... ride will probably stay same. Keep stock springs....I guess upgrade strut bearings etc. to VR6.
Now the question is which strut/shock package... Decisions decisions

I saw the KYB GR2 for a good price. Are they any good? Koni Reds?
As you can see I'm not looking to put alot of money right now into the suspension. They definitely need replacing, and I want to get something at least halfway decent.
Yeah I had a 99 Passat GLX. Handled real well.

Modified by MTVW at 9:16 AM 8-18-2006

· Registered
26,305 Posts

Is it difficult to change the struts/shock your self?

No its easy, but you may wish to take the struts to a small shop to have them compressed for you if you don't have the tool to do it (you can rent one).
I run a set of KYB GR-2s and H&R OE Sport Springs (lowers car by 1", rides and handles great)..
Got it all for $400 (springs and stuts) from Tire rack. Ordered new bushings and so on from germanautoaprts.com (Add $100)..

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: 94 Jetta 2.0 suspension (Dan J Reed)

Thanks Dan. I was looking at those struts/shocks. Good to hear that someone has them and likes them. Good ole Tirerack. You think using the stock springs would be alright?

· Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: 94 Jetta 2.0 suspension (Dan J Reed)

Thanks Dan I appreciate your advice. With those springs does the back sit lower than the front? One of the reviews on TR said that was a problem with his

Modified by MTVW at 7:12 AM 8-19-2006

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.