VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94' jetta GL 2.0. The thing runs great, up until I get to 3/8ths of a tank of gas. then the car runs rough when i accelerate, and hesitates almost to the point of dying when i make right hand turns. Ive asked around, and the only advice that made since to me was to check the secondary fuel pump in the gas tank. They said there might be a problem with the fuel pickup line. Does anyone know if this is a common problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Re: 94' jetta hesitates on right hand turns (MILEHIGHMK3)

If it's struggling when it gets low, especially on turns, i'd be willing to bet it's your in-tank pump. It's easy to replace, and shouldn't cost you more than $50. Until you do it, don't let the gas get that low- it puts too much strain on the main fuel pump and then you'll be spending alot more than $50. When it dies completely you will be stranded, so I'd get it taken care of ASAP.
Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: 94' jetta hesitates on right hand turns (optikNurve)

That was what i was thinking too. Ive looked at the pump before, i couldnt remove it though, because my tank was full. It is a pretty easy job though, considering you can get to it from the trunk. Does anyone know if that pump has a "fuel pickup line"? If it doesnt, wouldnt you think that the car would hesitate all the time, instead of only when my tank is at a certain level. Also, is there any way to test the pump, or check it visually, before just replacing it? any help is greatly appreciated

DUB ON! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Re: 94' jetta hesitates on right hand turns (MILEHIGHMK3)

My car kinda hesitates around right turns too, but I think it happens at all gas levels. Hmmmm.........perhaps i'll try replacing the pump anyway, just to see what happens.

·
Banned
5,765 Posts
Re: 94' jetta hesitates on right hand turns (Fixxxer)

I believe there is a filter on the end of the intank fuel pump. Ive seen those get pretty fuggin dirty. But it does sound like a bad intake pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts