VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FV-QR

I'm in love with the JPS car. They are right around the corner from me, maybe only 30 minutes away... maybe have to see if they allow visits.

Motor Werks Racing said:
This Porsche 924 GTR was hand crafted by our team and is now part of our "Heritage Tribute Collection". She is 1835 lbs 550 hp and is fully powered by our 924 1.8T Engine Conversion.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Damn, these are some baddddd 944's.

Along the lines of the bastardization talk, I'd be looking into an I6 BMW plant personally. I guess if its a track car you could grab an N54 for easy power, personally I think an S54 from the E46 M3 would be a hell of a combo paired to a 944.

·
Registered
49,370 Posts
Is there anything good about the stock 924 engine worth not "bastardizing" one of these cars? :laugh:
Originality? Otherwise, not really. Rarity might make me hesitate since there aren't very many nice 924s left and Porsches from that time period are taking off, but as far as the car itself I'm sure it's improved in every way with the mod.

It was a 2.0 Audi truck engine with a Porsche designed head on it, the transaxle was an Audi unit, the axles/CVs were from the VW Type 181 "Thing" and the struts were a weird combo of Rabbit control arms and Super Beetle struts.

·
Registered
22,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Damn, these are some baddddd 944's.

Along the lines of the bastardization talk, I'd be looking into an I6 BMW plant personally. I guess if its a track car you could grab an N54 for easy power, personally I think an S54 from the E46 M3 would be a hell of a combo paired to a 944.
S54 is a fantastic motor... but you're talking a much larger motor, so some of it will sit in front of the strut tower line, so likely putting weight where they don't want it. Also, the S54 is likely a bit heavier than the 1.8T. It'd make alot of nice noises and they can easily be tuned to around 375hp all motor... but these guys are making close to 500hp. Not saying I wouldn't like it... The S54 is also a bit more expensive in terms of maintance, although I suppose it's a wash if you're building a 1.8T to handle all the boost they're throwing at it.

Also, you gotta think about the headers that'd have to be done on the S54, it looks like they get pretty creative on the 1.8T anyways, so I imagine it'd be a bit of challenge for S54.

I like this idea... going to start shopping for a good used 944 now.

But no DIY option from these guys?
I believe they are offering a DIY kit, at least it said so on their site.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I always thought the 1.8T was the retarded paint chip eater of the powertrain world. This thread has changed my opinion.
It was the MK4 chassis, that the 1.8t first saw usage in primarily, that ate the paint chips. The engine was always decent. I don't blame things like the bad coil pack issue on the motor, just VW and their suppliers.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.