VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Today I went about tinkering with the car and noticed some badly worn pads in the rear. I replaced them, but in the process noticed that the emergency brake only operates the left rear tire and the right rear tire pretends like nothing is happening. One of the boots for the pistons was shot, so I will have to do that (at the least).

I also made the mistake of pushing the pistons back in with a C clamp, which I hear is a big no no and that they are supposed to be screwed back in (because of the parking brake screw in the center of them). Whoops. Sooo they might be completely kaput now.

The question: What calipers will bolt on to 1995 audi 90 quattro rear carriers and work with the emergency brake lines with minimal modification?

the calipers from vw mk3 disc rear calipers look similar, vw mk4 rears look similar, b3 rears look similar, A4 rears look similar (b5 stuff), will any of these work or are there others that I am missing?

I'm shying away from buying remanufactured b4 calipers ($75+ a piece) at the moment because I may be able to get A4 calipers cheaper at the junkyard (maybe $20 a piece).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
for anyone wondering how to do their 93-95 rear calipers for cheap, I (sorta) found a solution.

I went to the u pull junk yard near me and found a (2001?) audi a4 quattro. The rear calipers looked almost identical accept for the fact that they had an extra spring on the back. I bought them and put them on my 90 and they work like a charm. Problem solved for ~$15 per side!

·
Registered
21 Posts
for anyone wondering how to do their 93-95 rear calipers for cheap, I (sorta) found a solution.

I went to the u pull junk yard near me and found a (2001?) audi a4 quattro. The rear calipers looked almost identical accept for the fact that they had an extra spring on the back. I bought them and put them on my 90 and they work like a charm. Problem solved for ~$15 per side!
Rear end of a b4 is pretty much the same as a b5! So if you want a little upgrade in the future you can do any of the rear vented disc options that work on b5, the only difference i think could be brake lines? Not sure dont quote me

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.