VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 Jetta starts and idles fine. It stumbles at speed and the accleration is also a bit weak, like it is periodically running on 3 cylinders.
The plugs, cap and rotor are fine. The ignition wires were replaced about 1 year ago.
The check engine light comes on after about 15 seconds after starting the car. I'd like to read the code but dont know how. I have seen posts that say there is a VW device you can plug into the diagnositc connection but I dont have such a thing and the dealer of course says he has never heard of it.
Autozone (I went to 3 of them) does not have a tool to read the codes.
Can anyone out there tell me how to read tthe CEL codes?
Any idea what the problem might be?
Thanks
Roland

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Re: 95 Jetta 2.0 liter stumbling (ferllyr)

Maybe a slipping clutch? How old is that clutch (if you know).....Mine does it a little but, but not to the extreme that youer describing....
As for the CEL, you first need to pull out your Ashtray in the dash...
There is a Plastic cover RIGHT next to the opening of the ashtray that you slide off. there should be a pink plug...take it to a Mechanic or Pep Boys (call first), they shoudl read it for free and tell what it is....
(keep in mind, the ECU will keep the previosuly stored codes that presented a problme in the past, even if the problem has been fixed...) This is what the guy at Autozone told me when he read my ECU.....

Modified by JettaGT383 at 3:52 AM 5-22-2004

·
Registered
246 Posts
Re: 95 Jetta 2.0 liter stumbling (JettaGT383)

im pretty sure its not the clutch. i ahve the same problem and mine is fine i have replaced the spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter MAF and i am pretty sure my coil pack is fine. try checking for vacuum leaks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to read the codes by jumping pin 4 and 15 for 2.5 seconds while the engine was running; it won't flash the codes, just resets them. No vacuum leaks. I can hear an intermittent skip at idle; like one cylinder is misfiring every now and then

1 - 7 of 7 Posts